We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai

Hi! I'm traveling to Thailand in October and will spend some time in these two areas.

I'll have 2 nights in Chiang Rai and am debating between 2 or 3 nights in Chiang Mai.

Any suggestions? Will 2 nights be enough?

Also, any recommendations on transportation between the 2 areas? I know if I arrange through the hotel it will cost more money. Want to be safe, however.

Thank you!!

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai

In Chiang Rai you should pick a resort outside the city, or sleep in Mae Salong, Mae Sai or Chiang Saen. Chiang Rai city is really nothing special especially after (or before) seeing Chiang Mai.

2 nights in Chiang Mai are enough to visit the main attractions in or close to the city. Keep the option open for a third night, there's always something to do.

Transportation between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai :

3 hours with a VIP bus (very confortable, good service, careful driving) with the Green Bus company (a few departures every day, less than 300 baht pp). I don't like the minivans, far less confortable and the drivers can sometime drive very fast... doesn't feel safe.

2. Re: Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, August 17, 2009