We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire in Chiang Mai University

Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
14 helpful votes
Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

I plan to visit Chiang Mai University in my next Chiang Mai trip.

My question is does Chiang Mai University has any dress code or attire restriction for tourist?

I don't like to wear long pant or jean since it is very not comfortable for me. In my own country, all public universities restrict people to wear short pant but I'm not sure about Thailand.

I appreciate for any help, thanks!

perth
Level Contributor
20,312 posts
61 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

Hi

Visiting as to just walk around in campus or as visiting inside the building meeting students, professors ? If the first smart casual but inside building within classes, meeting etc then long pants is a must.

Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

Hi, thanks for your reply. I just plan to walk around in campus. My short pants are all above my knee. Do this call smart casual? Besides, I wish to look around in the university by motorbike, is it allowable? Thanks for your help!

perth
Level Contributor
20,312 posts
61 reviews
49 helpful votes
3. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

Your knee length pants are ok for campus. Yes motorbike are allowed in fact motorbike are the most popular mode of transport for many of students anyway.

However I can only speak of CMU, I'm mot sure about any other university.

Good luck

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
11,227 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

Please note that CMU is getting a bit restrictive on tourists visiting. Because of a very popular Chinese movie, hordes of tourists have been visiting and not always on their best behavior. Are you visiting as a prospective student or just for a looksee?

Southeast Asia
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
458 reviews
278 helpful votes
5. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

Universities are rather free environments in Thailand. Some students live on campus and they may wear casual short pants when not going for classes. But you should dress conservatively as a respect to others. In any case a university is not a tourist attraction so what's the whole idea of going there? The campus is already full of traffic so people with no business are not encouraged to go there.

Edited: 5 years ago
Southeast Asia
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
458 reviews
278 helpful votes
6. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

Universities are rather free environments in Thailand. Some students live on campus and they may wear casual short pants when not going for classes. But you should dress conservatively as a respect to others. In any case a university is not a tourist attraction so what's the whole idea of going there?

Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
14 helpful votes
7. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

Thanks for reply!

I am just interest how foreign university look like and wish to go there to have a look. I won't enter any building to meet any students or lecturers.

I'm noticed CMU now flooded with China's tourists and so CMU is a bit more restrictive than before. So I am quite worry if I wearing a short pant above knee will bring more trouble to CMU and as well as to myself.

Southeast Asia
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
458 reviews
278 helpful votes
8. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

I think no problem going around have a look at the pleasant reservoir, have a cup of coffee at the many coffee stands. But do not dress scantily.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

You don't have to dress any differently from any other non-beach activity. What's fine downtown is most certainly also fine on the CMU grounds. In fact I'd say the higher standards apply to visiting temples around town.

Either way, no difference; if you combine it with visiting Wat Umong for example then you'd already be properly dressed.

Make sure you drive past the lake (Ang Kaew) and the Sala Tham grounds. (temple-like building at the end of the main entrance road coming from Huay Kaew Rd.) Then Ang Kaew is to the right from there.

Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Attire in Chiang Mai University
Save

Thanks for your useful information! =D