We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantern Festival 2014

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Lantern Festival 2014

Hey Guys,

I have been looking into the Lantern Festival for Chiang Mia 2014 and I know that the tourist release is on the 6th on November for 100US per person.

I am interested in the traditional Balinese release. To my understanding this happens on the full moon. That is on the 7th November according to Moon Charts. Can anyone back up this claim with information they have found?

Also for anyone that has been to the traditional Balinese one. Are foreigners welcome? Or is it something that is not accepted?

Thanks heaps!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lantern Festival 2014

Hi Catface,

Welcome to the Chiang Mai Forum. The Loy Krathong and Yee Ping Festival is a wonderful time to be in Chiang Mai.

Have a look at this discussion about it that is current on the forum. I'm sure it will help answer your questions.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

There is also an FAQ on the top right of this page with more information.

All the best,

Caroline.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lantern Festival 2014

There are several threads on the potential 2014 dates for the Mae Jo religious ceremony and the tourist look alike event, you might want to give them a read.

The khom lois in Thailand are similar to Balinese lanterns, but as Bali in Hindu and Thailand is Buddhist, the religious ceremonies that use them are different. Thais tend to be quite open to non-Buddhists attending or observing ceremonies, but tourists always need to remember it is a solemn ceremony not tourist attraction.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lantern Festival 2014

Thank you. I am looking to go to the Traditional one in Chiang mia not Bali. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a tentative booking for the 6th −11th november. Fingers crossed.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lantern Festival 2014

Today I called Tourism Thailand in Chiangmai. The officer told me that the official schedule for Loy Krathong festival in Chaingmai city is on 5th - 7th November. But the massive lanterns at at Mae jo hasn't announced until September - October.

5. Re: Lantern Festival 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 23, 2015