We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

Hi All,

We are planning to be in Chiang Mai sometime later next month with our son and daughter. We plan to stay for 2 nights in Chiang Mai, 1 night in Thaton (or nearby hill station) and 1 night in Chiang Rai.

Please help to suggest some good hotels:

1. Two Nights stay near shopping area in Chiang Mai.

2. One Night Resort accommodation in Thaton (or a hill station about an hour drive from Thaton to take the Long Tail boat trip to Chiang Rai)

3. One night Resort accommodation in Chiang Rai

Our budget is approx. USD 50/per night.

Please also comment on the below itinerary, and advice on ???:

Day 01: Visit to temples (Doi Suthep & Jedi Luang Temple), Bor Sang village, shopping and night safari

Day 02: Elephant show (Mae Sa), Chiang Dao Caves, ???? and proceed to stay at resort in Thaton or nearby hill station (any suggestions???)

Day 03: Morning ???, Long Tail boat trip from Thaton to Chiang Rai, visit Golden Triangle

Day 04: Morning ??? and then drive back to Chiang Rai

Any suggestions on rental Car Company in Chiang Mai???

Thanking you in advance!

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

I'd drop the night safari, really not worth it and no need to encourage a business where so many animals died if not from mistreatment, at least from total incompetence.

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

Hi Doc,

Noted. Grateful if you could please suggest on accommodation:

1. CHIANG MAI (2 Nights stay)

2. THATON (1 Night) - Stay at Thaton or nearby Doi Mae Salong hills (Any comments, resort suggestions etc.)

3. CHIANG RAI (1 Night) - Any good resort

Thanking you.

Australia
Level Contributor
448 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

Hi,

when we stay in Chiang Mai we stay at the Chiang Mai plaza, which would be in your budget. It includes a buffet breakfast and is just down the road from the night markets. Another hotel that has been recommended to us but we have never stayed at is the Central Duangtawan hotel, which is cheaper.

Both have pools etc.

Your itinerary seems very full. Chiang Mai itself is a wonderful place and we just love exploring all its areas. This year we are spending a full 8 nights in Chaing Mai and we know that we'll only be scratching the surface yet again.

But that is just my opinion...

Have a great time,

Carla

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

for your budget in Chiang Mai i suggest the Raming Lodge, easy walk to the shopping areas.

In Chiang Rai, i like the Naga Hill, it's in the moutain outside the city.

For the rates, make a search on the internet and compare, the differences can be quite substantial.

The best place to rent a car in Chiang Mai is Northwheels (opposite Sompet Market along the moat).

Malaysia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

Am not sure how old your children are, but I stayed in a lovely little inn called Tri Yaan Na Roos last October. It has only eight rooms and is south of the city gates but we didn't have a problem getting around. The hotel staff are also very helpful.

I'd suggest taking time out a little in Chiang Mai. The elephant camp is fun and Doi Suthep is worth a look. But I found that the best part of my vacation was the one full day I spent taking a walking tour from the southern gates to the north part of the old city. We went wherever our feet would take us and encountered some charming old temples within the city walls. The museum was also surprisingly attractive, giving us a lot of insight into the city's history.

At night, you may want to go across the river where there are lots of great little restaurants serving all kinds of food.

Have fun and relax. It's that kind of place :-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

The only elephant park I recommend is the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre which is about an hour's drive from Chiang Mai. It's government run and is the only park that guarantees human treatment of the animals, it also houses the Royal herd of elephants and the world's first elephant hospital (the latter of which you can visit). We did it as a half day trip, and were back at our hotel by noon.

7. Re: Accommodation and Tour Plan for trip to Chiang Mai /Chiang R

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 13, 2009