We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

Hi,

which day would be best to visit Doi Suthep + going to Huay Thung Tao lake afterwards: on a saturday or a friday? Is the temple and lake really crowded on weekends?

I've also read that the best way to get there is to rent your own motorbike/moped but neither of us have real driving experiences with these. Well, i've driven a moped a couple of times but that's more than 15 years ago. i'm a bit wary of driving through traffic and on a busy road as beginners. Would it be safe enough for us or would you recommend getting a taxi?

thanks for your replies!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

We went about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday, and yes it was crowded, but we still had plenty of room to move around at Doi Suthep (it wasn't shoulder to shoulder or anything like that). Hopefully a DE or regular will be able to answer your question better if there's any difference in going on Friday.

I would say you are right to be wary of driving the moped since you don't have experience and Doi Suthep is on a mountain so the road is windy, and people in general drive pretty crazy in Thailand. I certainly would not do it. We took a songthaew (shared open air taxi/ pickup truck), and it was okay and probably the cheapest option, but you do inhale a lot of exhaust, which wasn't so pleasant. If you can find an air conditioned taxi and negotiate a rate (ask the one you take from the airport as you won't see a lot of regular taxis driving around Chiang Mai), I think would be your best option, or hire one of the drivers/ guides listed in the FAQs.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

I would try to go on a Friday, as weekends can be busy at both places.

If you are not comfortable or practiced with scooters, do NOT rent one to go up Doi Suthep. That is asking for road rash. As orchid6510 mentioned, there are song thaews that go up and down Doi Suthep, so easy to get there.

Unfortunately, you would need a private hire to go to Huay Thung Tao (you might find a tuk tuk or song thaew willing to take you there, but there won't be any "passing by" to bring you home again).

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,003 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

You could negotiate with a songthaew driver for a half day hire rate - and cover Doi Suthep and Huay Thung Tao. A Friday would be much quieter (at both I imagine). We were at Huay Thung Tao on our last trip on a week day and there were very few people there.

Caroline.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

ok, I'll follow your advice and not drive ourselves- better safe than sorry

what is a good price for a half a day-rate?

how much time would we need for Soi Duthep?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,003 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

You might get a songthaew for something like 600B for a half day.

It takes about 20 - 30 mins to get to Wat Phra Doi Suthep. You then either walk up the stairs or go up the cable car. How long you spend at the top is up to you. Probably something like an hour would be good. There is a little coffee shop up there for a pit stop.

So - about two hours for Doi Suthep alone - including up and back and time to look around.

Caroline.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

Thanks Caroline,

I'll think we'll take the songthaew for half a day, that's a very reasonable price

very much looking forward to our trip! <3

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

Taking a red taxi (songthaew) can be "la galère" ... if you can do it with your budget, rent a car with a driver and you will see more places during the same day (+-1900 baht + gaz)

- Doi Suthep in the morning + Go further to Doi Pui and the Coffee Plantation nicest place at the top of this mountain

- Lunch at Huay Thung Tao

- Doi kham or somewhere else in the afternoon ...

My 2 cents ...

8. Re: Doi Suthep on Fri or Sat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 31, 2015