We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
3 posts
Save Topic
Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for November 2014 to Thailand, mostly to see the Loi Krathong/Yi Peng Festivals. I know the official dates are not released until a few months before, but we need to buy tickets early since we are using Sky Miles. I believe the festival is supposed to line up with the full moon in November (which is Nov 6 in 2014). If we plan on getting there around that day does anyone know if that could work?

We are planning on flying in to Chiang Mai and out of Phuket, so I want to make sure we are there on the right leg of the trip.

Thanks for your help!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

The holiday is always on the full moon and one or two days previous. If you are talking about the lantern release in Mae Jo, then that is another story. I would book the days up to and including the full moon as the lantern release is almost always before it.

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Thanks for you help! This is our first time traveling to Thailand and seeing the festival, so we are going in a bit blind. Do you think if we arrive on Nov 4th with the full moon on Nov 6th that we would be okay? Do you know if there are any smaller lantern releases after the full moon? Sorry for the questions, but my fiance's boss doesn't want us to leave until a bit into November.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Yes, there will be lantern releases, fireworks, floating candles, parades, etc etc all throughout the city. The only thing you might miss is the mass release of lanterns in Mae Jo.

spain
Level Contributor
157 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Hi we are thinking of going in 2014 as well. Will there be lantern releases and krathong floating after the 6th?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Loi Krathong & Yee Ping Festivals are celebrated officially for about 3 days, usually one day on either side of the full moon. But Thais enjoy festivals, so they start playing fireworks and balloons in the days leading up to the festivals (they started a week before in my neighborhood this year).

As floating a krathong or launching a khom loi is a personal affair to bring yourself good fortune, it is perfectly acceptable to do it outside the festival days. But from a photography point of view, the three days around the full moon are the peak.

spain
Level Contributor
157 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Thanks a lot. We go to Thailand twice a year and love the country and respect the traditions. But have never been to Chiang Mai during these festivals. Would you recommend it? We dont like artificial "New Year" razzle dazzle events.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Would I recommend it? 1000%

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Spainmizliz,

We loved the celebrations in Chiang Mai for Loy Krathong. It is a fantastic place.

Definitely not to be missed.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

I am in Chiang Mai now and have been here for the festivals. It is wonderful. I will be back. :D

spain
Level Contributor
157 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Predicting the Floating Lantern Festival 2014

Thanks everyone. I will start making plans!!