We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

We are flying from Chiang Mai to Udan Thani as there is no direct flight from here to Khon Kaen. Does anyone know the best way to get to Khon Kaen from Udan Thani. Taxi? If so how much. Bus? is it easy to get a bus? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

You should post in the Udon Thani forum really as this question doesn't have much to do with Chiang Mai.

You can take a bus from the bus station in Udon. Take a minivan from the airport to the bus station. Buses leave all the time with various companies. Takes around 2 hours and costs 100-200 baht I think.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

Thank you. I will post to the other forum as well. Do you know how much it is by taxi?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

No idea, sorry. More than the bus for sure! There is a car service counter inside the airport, you could ask there first and take the car if the price is OK, otherwise head to the bus station.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

I've done the train journey, it's a pleasant trip, I think only 30Bt to 150Bt depending on the train / class. However the trains nearly always run late, I was waiting 3hours for one and then it broke down twice on the journey. Still it's a nice way to see the countryside.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

When we were there in 2007, we flew from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani, made a side trip to Nong Khai, then back to Udon Thani. We hired a driver (there were two couples so we split the cost) and he took us to Khon Kaen. I don't remember exactly what it cost, but it was a great way to travel. He had a nice truck and we were able to stop whenever we wanted. We will be doing the same thing in the very near future - we arrive in Chiang Mai on the 14th for a 60 day holiday. We then hired a driver to take us from Khon Kaen to Korat and again from Korat to a golf resort near Saraburi and then again from there to BKK.

6. Re: Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 12, 2014