We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

We are in the process of working out a "holiday" stop on our way back to Oz in early-mid November.

What is CM like weather wise at that time?

If nice, would 10-12 days be too much/too little to enjoy CM without rushing?

Do people tend to do set tours or have a base from where to do day tours?

Any great recommended companies, private guides or drivers who speak English?

Thank you. Your responses will help start me off on my research.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

November is a wonderful time to be in Chiang Mai. It starts to cool off - so the days are nice and warm and good for walking around.

The Loy Krathong Festival falls in November (see the FAQ on the right for more information). This is a very popular time to be in Chiang Mai. It is when the fire lanterns are released on mass - there are dates in the FAQ on one thread about 2013.

10 -12 days is a good amount of time to relax, eat out, have some massages - and take in the sights. There are lots of beautiful guest houses, boutique hotels and B&B's and you'll find your dollar goes a long way.

Chiang Mai itself is great for walking and exploring. It has an old city that is about 1.5kms square, with a moat and intact walls in some places. There are also lots of sights out of the city - small arts and craft villages, elephant camps, hill tribes and Doi Inthanon (Thailands highest mountain). Many people hire a guide for a couple of days and fit in as much as they can out of town with the guide. (see the FAQ top right for a list of the top guides in Chiang Mai and their contacts).

Many of the sights around town, and Doi Suthep (the mountain overlooking Chiang Mai) can easily be done at your own leisure using tuk tuks or songthaews.

Send through any more questions.

Caroline.

Edited: 2:00 am, March 27, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

Thanks so much Caroline.

It sounds great. I certainly will ask questions...very much appreciated.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

We were there in november for Loy Krathong festival and it was a magic time. If you can fit it into your travel dates, it is well worth it. We spent a week in CM and can't wait to go back to do some more exploring. We stayed riverside in a B&B and at night it was fantastic with the lanterns and fireworks(for the festival) along the river.

We did a lot of walking and exploring rather than too many organised tours. Lots of markets and temples and great food.

Hope you enjoy CM as much as we did.

Edited: 3:01 am, March 27, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

Thanks so much Wendy...I'm almost convinced CM should be the spot for us.

Caroline and Wendy if you have any recommendations for accommodation, tours or generally must do's that would be wonderful.

We are 65, fit and active...love walking, exploring and hate big hotels.....vegetarian and fish eaters.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

I, too can vouch for November as a great time to be in CM, and we always choose that time of year. Although still hot during the day, it's not too humid and the mornings are cool. You might like Baan Orapin; it's a B&B on the river in a lovely area to stroll and browse, and you can easily either walk or catch a tuk-tuk to the markets and old city across the river. But there are many other places to choose from, I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions here.

QueenslandWendy, we must have been there at the same time last year; we were also there for Loy Krathong and Yi Peng, staying at B Orapin!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

You might want to click on this link. I put a fairly lengthy reply on this yesterday with some hotel and B&B suggestions.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

Caroline.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

We were also there at the beginning of November and the weather was great.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

Hi,

Like several others I'm always in CM in November and it's a terrific time to go. This past year it was still pretty warm, but very little rain. There's a list of recommended drivers and guides in the top questions and there are some very good ones based in Chiang Mai, but with your time frame I wouldn't book too much in advance but just go with the flow once you're there and see what trips you fancy making, everything is very easy to organise once you are in the city.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

You can't imagine how excited your replies make me feel about going to CM....and I just checked out Baan Orapin B & B...gorgeous and it seems so reasonable. Thank you, thank you.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Chiang Mai nice in November?

Yes, yes, yes! Both to "nice in November" and "Baan Orapin"! Just yesterday I found some flight specials that will be placing me in Chiang Mai for the first 3 weeks of November - and I've just found that this means I'll be there for Loy Krathong-Yi Peng. A terrific bonus! I can hardly wait, even though I haven't had time yet to write a JBR from my February trip there...