We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

Karachi
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

We are a group of 22 office colleagues planning to travel to Chiang Mai in early May and i have the folowing questions:

1. If we are interested to go river rafting, elephant trakking, jungle walk etc, which would be a convenient locality to stay from where these activities are easily accessible?

2. How convenient is it to get Halal food in Chiang Mai ?

Thanks

Sohail

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

Most of these activities all take place out in Mae Rim and you would take transport there, either by red truck or through the operator, therefor where you stay is not so important when it comes to getting to those activities.

Driving around I see some Halal food signs, but as I have no vested interest I have never specifically sought it out.

I would make your hotel decision based on other options, perhaps even using the proximity of halal food as a option, I am sure there are others who can chime in where to find it easily. Out in Hang Dong there is not much to do for non Thai speakers and I am willing to bet that you will not find Halal food out there.

My assumption would be that closer to Night Bazar/ Chang Klang road you will find such restaurants, be close to the city and things to do, while being a 20minute ride away from all those adventure activities.

Enjoy!

Karachi
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

Thanks Mark B.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

The things you mention you want to see and do are all easily accessible from the city. There is an area called The Mae Rim where you find many of the elephant camps, river rafting etc. It is only about one hour or so from town. You should consider contacting a guide or going with a tour company since your group is so large.

You will be better off in town where you are close to other things to see and do and places to eat.

All the best,

Caroline.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

Sorry, I meant to say "Out in Mae Rim" not "Out in Hang Dong"

I work out in Hang Dong, so I say that by habit!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
528 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

Stay near the night bazaar. The whole back end of the night bazaar(river side) is a predominantly Muslim area. There are quite a few Halal restaurants and a Mosque. Any/all or the tours for elephants, rafting, etc will provide free pick up drop off services within the city, so you do not have to stay out in Mae Rim(nothing there!). Feel free to PM me if you need any more detailed info.

Karachi
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

Dear Mark, Caroline and Steve, Many thanks for the excellent advise. The night Bazaar / Halal restaurants tip is really great.

Regards

7. Re: Where to stay in Chiang Mai ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 15, 2014