We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bundeena
Level Contributor
970 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Do we need to travel out to the bus station to buy tickets.are there a place in town to get tickets please and how far in advanced can you purchase

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

You need to go to the Arcade Bus Station.

It is about ten minutes from the old city by tuk tuk.

Any tuk tuk will take you there.

There is often a queue, so either ask your driver to wait, or grab another tuk tuk to get back when you are finished.

We always buy these tickets at the bus station but last time we went to a little travel agent (which adjoins a juice bar) in the old city. It is directly opposite Tamarind Village on the Sunday Walking Street. However, I wouldn't do this again. We found out they had reserved seats for us, but we didn't have an actual bus ticket as such. So, when we arrived at the bus station we still had to queue to get a ticket issued. It took ages and we would have missed the bus had a staff member not taken pity on us and taken us to the front of the queue. So, if we do get them anywhere else make sure what you have is the actual ticket. We also had to pay a fee on top of the normal ticket price to get them from the agent.

I think it is best just to go straight to the Arcade station. You can choose your seats and book the return leg at the same time.

It is good to get this sorted out a few days ahead to make sure you get the bus you want. It is only about 20 seats so can fill up.

Hope you are having fun and the massage bruises are fading....

Caroline.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Hi,

No you don't. If you go to the Tha Phae Road, from the Tha Phae gate end, walk down towards Nawarat bridge, on the right hand side you will see the first 7-11, immediatley after this you will see a travel agent called Trek and Travel on the corner of soi 5. They can book and print Green Bus tickets for 50B service fee which is cheaper than you can get out to the Arcade Bus station in my experience and saves time too as you don't have to queue.

cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

I know there are other places you can get them, which is why I said.. make sure if you get them anywhere else what you are getting is the actual ticket and not just a reservation slip... which is what we were issued with and it was a total pain.

By the way, the 20 seater bus I am referring to is the VIP bus which is direct and has a toilet on board. You can also go by first class bus which is larger but takes longer and stops on the way.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Hi Caroline,

We posted at the same time. I know this place issues the actual bus tickets which is why I've used them for the last 3 years or so. I find it much more convenient than buying them at the bus station and facing the queues

Cheers

bundeena
Level Contributor
970 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Thank all.I know I had read someone had had trouble with the tickets I just couldnt find h post again.yes .Thanks Caroline the bruises are still appearing but we have had another 2 leg massages since .We are enjoying CM thank to your help did cooking school today ,have booked Patara and early morning Alms And Doi Sulpie ,checked out Baan Oraphin we can see why you love it.

Did lunch at Regina's and afternoon tea at Veng Joom On .Did night market tonight.cheers amanda

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Glad to hear you are getting around and having so much fun Amanda. Enjoy Chiang Rai.

Paul - I do apologize - I didn't mean that message to sound abrupt (as it came out). That is great info about being able to get the actual tickets issued in town and I will be looking for that place next time. I had heard someone else mention they did this as well, but there was no info on where. I hope you don't mind if I include the directions and info you give above in the FAQ about getting to Chiang Rai..... thanks for that info.

Caroline.

bundeena
Level Contributor
970 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Thanks Caroline and Paul .We went to Trek and Travel ,very nice girl and booked tickets 8 days in advanced ,will use this agency for some tours next trip.

Thanks so much

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Glad you got it sorted... let us know how you find Chiang Rai. Really pleased to hear the smoke is not too bad....

Enjoy.

Caroline.

bundeena
Level Contributor
970 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Thanks Caroline the weather is hot but bearable a lot better than Vietnam.Though I had heat stroke while on an elephant at Patara yesterday.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy green bus tickets To CR

Hi,

Glad you found Trek and Travel alright and sorted your tickets out. The girl who works there is really nice and always so helpful.

Cheers