We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

Firstly I have tried to email http://www.thailandtrainticket.com/ with my request and they did not answer my question but instead asked me to confirm booking.

There will be three of us Me, the wifey and my ten year old son.

Would we all fit in the first class compartment? (I have only really seen a brief view of it from someones youtube video.

I do not mind the second class (it looks pretty cool) however someone will probably smother me as I can wake the dead with my snoring!

Also not sure how the sleeping /seats work - are we guaranteed to get to stay together in second class?

Anyone else taken the sleeper train as part of a group of 3?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

The official Thai Railway company are on Facebook , you could message them there,they seem quite active on it

I paid them by Visa , they would only accept cards that are "verified by Visa" which is good to see as obviously only I know my pin. I havnt seen anything online to say its not an official agency. If it was in Europe I probably wouldnt have even thought twice about their payment system.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

Hi

I've never booked with children so can't comment on the child rules. I have used thailandtrainticket.com a few times and always had an excellent experience with them. Tickets have always been waiting for me upon check in and no issues with payments.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
118 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

I did query with ThailandTrainTicket for my son who is 9 years old but 154cm tall - adult pricing if over 150cm tall no matter the childs age. I resigned myself months ago that i will be paying adult pricing for him. As I just did at Snake Farm in bkk. Thailand appears to set child pricing based more on height, which will capture a few if the taller western children do not know if that is intentional or not.

Manchester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

Iv been trying to book my tickets for two weeks now and their not replying to any emails. Submitted an enquiry twice. I think its a farce and am just gonna have to go on the morning of the departure day and hope we can buy tickets. The 15 day deadline is today

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

Booked my tickets through official thai railway site. Gave me an option of where I wanted to sit. Plenty of spaces at time. Ticket booking wasn't open more than 60 days before date of travel. Paid by credit card in UK and then via email got sent booking number to print out ticket. You must take this with you as you will not be issued a new ticket if you lose it. Print few copies. While out there had to book 5 days in advance to get aircon from Chiang Mai to Bangkok with very few seat choices. Your seats are made to beds for you. Advise having a meal in the buffet car. Great choice, slightly more costly than street food, but still value, and it livens up after a few beers. Becomes a party car. One more for the memory bank.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,690 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

thailandtraintravel.com didn't reply to my emails either so I ended up using Asia Discovery and have had excellent service from them.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

Three points:

1. Train #1 and #13 run different equipment. You want to travel on train #13, which uses Japanese equipment with different configurations than train #1. Some of the replies here have not taken this into account. Refer to www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm for correct information. Please read the Seat61 site carefully, as it tends to mix the descriptions of the two train sets together.

2. The official Thai railroad agency no longer offers online reservations. Again, some of the replies here have not taken into account that change, which started a few months ago.

3. Thailand Train Ticket is not the only travel agency that books train tickets. My friend and I found it easier to work with Asia Discovery when we booked our tickets on train #13, and the extra couple bucks they charge doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned considering they drop the tickets off at your hotel of choice.

See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k637… for some additional recent discussion on this train trip.

Edit: Sorry, I see now that somebody resurrected an older discussion. I hate it when that happens!

Edited: 3:18 pm, April 25, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

My votes with Asia Discovery, big time!!

Quick efficient, prompt ... had our 6 train tickets in our hands in Australia within 10 days!! Excellent.

cheers baddles

19. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai Sleeper train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 28, 2014