We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique our itinerary/plan

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Please critique our itinerary/plan

Hi there! My husband and I will be in Thailand for 16 days this April and will spend about 3 days in CM. I haven't planned much but would like to know from experienced visitors if this is a good itinerary:

5 Apr - Overnight Train #1 from Bangkok

6 Apr - 0830 (ish...often delayed) arrive by train, transit to hotel (Tamarind Village), nothing planned for most of the day, 1600-2000 Cooking Class with Baan Thai, Night Bazaar (also read about Sat night market somewhere?)

7 Apr - Nothing planned for daytime, dinner at a Riverside Restaurant, Sunday Walking Markets after dinner

8 Apr - Patara Elephant Farm all day

9 Apr - depart on early flight (0840) to Phuket

So, as you can see, not much planned out. Was thinking maybe of booking a half-day tour for the first day or maybe full-day for the 7th to see some Wats or handicraft centers? Any opinions on this? Should we just wander on our own instead?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Tamarind Village
Tamarind Village
1,725 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Baan Thai Resort
Baan Thai Resort
99 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Night Bazaar
Night Bazaar
6,190 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

Hi

Wat Doi Suthep is a must see perhaps do it on 7th in the morning for half day :)

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

McKay B, you may want to include a trip up the hill to see the Wat at the top of the stairs.

This is how I recognize Chiang Mai in an instant.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=doi+suthep+chiang+mai&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&rlz=1T4HPAA_enAU314AU314&biw=1016&bih=531&tbm=isch&tbnid=Rpzc1ZmVmZWbSM:&imgrefurl=http://www.eugenegoesthailand.com/%3Fp%3D998&docid=Mo12E_l9R0P7oM&imgurl=http://www.eugenegoesthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/doi-suthep-temple-chiangmai-11.jpg&w=600&h=401&ei=6-QEUdzABeWTmQWOoICAAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=209&vpy=131&dur=15&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=153&ty=133&sig=116942206467674160920&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=218&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:85

Have fun

Edited: 3:28 am, January 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

oops

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

Inaspin that's really look like the stairs up to the temple :)

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

visit doi suthep (the temple high on the hill above chiang mai). Either get a car and driver to take you up- your hotel can arrange this or hire a guide for the day- or else the red songteaws leave from outside the zoo for the mountain. It is a good adventure.

If interested they have pandas in the zoo.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

Yes Pea, each step is described in detail. :(

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

Hear hear to inaspin's advice - Doi Suthep is a lovely excursion and needn't take all day.

I think you're wise to have some free time to wander in the old City - you'll find lovely little shops, cafes, many wats and just beautiful things to look at, without needing a guide or a set plan. Looks like a good itinerary to me, with the addition of Doi Suthep and retaining some of the free time.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

Hi there,

It looks like a great start for your 3 day visit, we have just returned from a 12 day visit and there are still destinations and sights we wish we had visited.

There is a beautiful Wat about 500m north of Tamarind Village - Wat Chiang Man, it houses the first temple of Chiang Mai, built 1297.

We had a lovely lunch at the Riverside Restaurant, you could wander around Warorot Market before dinner, it is located just across the river from the restaurant.

Patara - what can I say.... the most amazing day!! Great choice!!

You may want to visit Tiger Kingdom for another animal experience, 600 baht round trip in a songthaew, it's a good half day trip.

Another restaurant in the Old City, relatively close to your hotel is 'Dash', lovely ambiance, food, staff & owner. We did a full day cooking class with Noi the owner which involved a morning visit to local produce market Muang Mai - fascinating!!

Give yourself time to wander and discover, if you have a sweet tooth be sure to get a Roti with sweet milk from one of the Night Markets.

Most of all, enjoy this amazing city!!

Kind regards

Jenny

Edited: 6:17 pm, January 29, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Tamarind Village
Tamarind Village
1,725 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Wat Chiang Man
Wat Chiang Man
873 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Tiger Kingdom Chiang Mai
Tiger Kingdom Chiang Mai
4,295 Reviews
Mae Rim, Thailand
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

Thanks so much for all the replies! I think we will definitely check out Doi Suthep, but we'll leave it until we get there and maybe take a songathew to keep on-budget. Thanks again!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please critique our itinerary/plan

Gday Mckay B

Not sure what class you are travelling on the night train Bangkok -> Chiang Mai but you may want to consider pre-booking if you are looking for first calss sleeper ... We had a little fun getting tickets ( tripadvisor.com.au/…46868665 - Post #13) but they are now secured.

Oh btw - we've pinched some of your ideas and those from others! That's why we luv Trip Advisor :)

Edited: 3:01 am, January 30, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai