We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flower festival and cost to get to city

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Flower festival and cost to get to city

So I arrive in ching Mai February 2 at 6 pm

How mixh should a taxi or tuk tuk I guess ( firsrt time in Thailand ) be to the old city ? Sk house 2 to be exact ,????

Also I figure I will be jet lagged so just chill at night but on Sunday I hear the flower festival is during the day as well ?? Is this true and is it easy to get to . ??? also when is the market as I need to buy some supplies when I arrive or the Sunday . Do I go to the night market ? And is it ok for a solo female to be there alone at night buying stuff ??

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flower festival and cost to get to city

Taxis are 120B from the airport to the city. (fixed cost - not meters in CM)

The flower festival is scheduled until Sunday, but historically the tear down starts on Sunday around noon. Saturday is the main day, with parades, etc. If at all possible, try to keep yourself up long enough to check it out on Saturday.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flower festival and cost to get to city

Assuming you mean taxi from the airport - 120 baht.

Yes the Flower Festival is during the day on Sunday, folks start breaking down in the late afternoon, so a morning visit is better.

Supplies?? Depends on what you mean by supplies. The Sunday night market is handicrafts, art, clothing, some prepared foods. If you are looking for personal supplies, snacks or drinks then most any 7-11 or one of the supermarkets in Central Airport, Kad Suan Keaw, Big Cs, Tescos, Rimping ...

Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flower festival and cost to get to city

Ok thank you !! Is there a taxi stand at the airport ? I will be near the thae phae gate is that close to the festival ? If I'm not jet lagged I could go sat night otherwise only Sunday morning . I'm looking for flip flops and t shirts and maybe a dress . Is the Sunday market good for that ?? I'm ok going alone ??

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Flower festival and cost to get to city

Yes there are several options for taxis at the airport, a couple of counters and the taxi dispatcher outside. The cost the old city is basically the same from all.

The Flower Festival is in the southwest corner of the old city area. You will be on the east side, a nice long stroll or a short tuk tuk ride.

There are clothing items sold at the Sunday Market, though they tend to be artsy, unique designs rather than the "I went to Chiang Mai" t-shirts.

No worries on strolling around alone as a woman, Chiang Mai is quite safe. Just follow the usual common sense procedures.

Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flower festival and cost to get to city

Perfect thank you . How long of a walk is it to the flower festival ?? Also for the Sunday market would I be able to find dressed or daily t shirts to wear ? Also flip flops ?? As I was told the buy alot of my stuff in chiang Mai and not bring alot of stuff .

Has anyone stayed at sk house 2 as well ?? and if you guys know the name of the wat that is across the street

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flower festival and cost to get to city

Maybe a 20 minute walk depending on your strolling speed.

You will find some t-shirts, but probably no flip flops. There are some crafted sandals to be had.

Ultimately, unless you are paying for your baggage by the pound, there is no real advantage to leaving clothes behind and buying here (unless you are doing the long term stay and wants lots of clothes). Things are cheaper, but bigger farang sizes don't come in too many choices. Myself, I would go the opposite direction, bring older clothes from home for your trip, then leave them behind to have space in your suitcase for souvenirs.

7. Re: Flower festival and cost to get to city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 29, 2014