We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lutterworth, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

Hi all,

In preperation for our impending trip i am trying to source travel insurance that covers the use of hiring motorbikes since my current policy only covers upto 125cc!

Any recommendations greatfully received,

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

I'm not sure what you are planning to hire, but 95% Of motorbikes in Thailand are 150cc or under, and 70% of all accidents involve motorbikes. I realise this doesn't answer you question but l thought it relevant.

Lutterworth, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

Thanks for your response, i am aware of the accident rate and have researched on the site which does also highlight that.

I am a very experienced biker and am looking to hire a bike above 125cc in order to ride the recognised Mae Hong son loop over 3nights/4days whilst visiting Chang Mai.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

If you have the experience and full license then a Kawasaki 650cc such as the ER6-f, ER6-n or Versys is a great bike for that trip. They are made in Thailand so there is no problem with riding an illegal import without the proper papers.

I did part of the loop in December and then continued down to Mae Sot before returning to Bangkok visa Lomsak. It's an amazing road for bikes.

Have fun, ride safe.

Lutterworth, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

Thanks Gippy, funnily enough i was looking at the ER-6 as 'Tony's big bikes' has a good choice of those, it would be a tos up between one of those or the 750 Africa Twin that he also has.

Both will be a bit of a shock from riding my 'Busa back in the UK but am thoroughly looking forward to the better scenery!

Would you say we are ok to get accomodation on route - late Jan?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

I booked 2 nights in Chiang Mai and just found places along the way for the rest of the trip. I stayed in Mae Hong Son, Mae Sot and finally Lomsak. I was there to ride, not really sightseeing so did 400km+ each day. Pai might be busy so if you want a stop there it might be worth booking ahead. The GT Rider website forum has a good section on recommended cheap places to stay with off road bike parking, worth a look.

I would go for the Kawasaki over the Africa Twin, purely due to the Kawa being made in Thailand, fully legal, cheap and easy to service. The Twin could be on dodgy registration papers, impossible for you to spot but could lead to problems in the event of an accident.

Lutterworth, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

Still need a travel insurane recommendation!

7. Re: Recommended travel insurance c/w cover for hiring motorbike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 08, 2014