We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Hi, I'm coming up to Chiang Mai in 10 days or so after what has been a massive relationship train wreck in Australia just over the holidays. I'll stay for a month or more. Any suggestions on things to do to meet friends, to occupy myself cheaply (other than the swimming pool, which I will surely use every day)? I have been to Chiang Mai 3 times before, but never while mending a broken heart or while uninterested in normal sightseeing.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,391 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

May be you buy a book?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Bed and Breakfasts or guesthouses tend to be more personable and easier to meet other travellers than the standard hotels, IMO; perhaps consider this type of accommodation? Also, joining a group tour where you will meet and be with other people is an idea...

While you may be heartbroken, you are coming to Chiang Mai to enjoy yourself, and not to mope, hopefully, so an intention on your part to have some fun and be with others will help. Join a cooking class, visit an orphanage and sing to the children..., do some volunteer work - things that take you out of yourself. You'll be okay.

Edited: 6:50 pm, December 23, 2012
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Dear Anjee

"occupy myself cheaply "

Rather than wasting money on a book just read this

…match.com/magazine/…

Then with the money you've saved, jump on a local bus up to Pai.

Here you'll meet lots of new and interesting people and in time you will survive, heal and grow.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

I was about to say go on a shopping spree then I noticed you said 'cheap', so maybe that's not a good idea. Maybe some cheap tours where you will be around others might be the way.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Maybe have a nice cocktail in a bar.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Hi Anjee. Sorry to hear that you're going through a rough time. As an animal lover, I find that they always lift my spirits.

How about staying for a few days at the Elephant Nature Park and helping out with the elephants and other animals there?

Best wishes,

Sue

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Great suggestion Sue :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Good suggestions, think about what interests you, hopefully something like animals, nature, culture, lots of things to help you clear your mind and see a clearer vision of the way forward.

Do appreciate you may be vunerable afer an emotional situation so do always keep your common sense clear.

Good luck.

queensland
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

My advice is to stay in a guesthouse - always friendly , always busy, always people about. I like travelling to surrounding towns - jump on a bus go visit Mae Sariang, Mae Hong Son, Pai, Nan, Sukothai, Chiang Rai - bus travel is cheap and journeys take you out into the country - you meet more people. People will engage with you if you engage with them. Oh and be in Chiang Rai on a Saturday night and Chiang Mai on a Sunday Night - for the night markets

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ways to distract a broken heart in Chiang Mai...

Going to Thailand with a broken heart is a sure way to get into troubles.