We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

Sawadeekrab!

I've been in Chiang Mai three weeks but my visa is up next week and I have to leave the country. I want to spend potentially a couple of weeks in the next destination before either buying a tourist visa or flying back to Bangkok.

I just wanted to get some feedback as to what my next destination should be. I want to go to either Luang Prabang in Laos, which I hear is a very beautiful place, or Siam Reap in Cambodia.

I have various concerns and questions such as the availability of internet in Laos (I work remotely), wealth of other activities that I can't already find in Thailand (for example I've already ridden an elephant in CM), and other things such as how expensive each place is (I'm backpacking with a daily budget of $30 usd a day)

I could post these and other questions in the respective forums, but since I'm departing from Chiang Mai I'd like to get some opinions from some folks here.

Thanks in advance ~ Khob khun krab!

Danny

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Laos
Laos
Asia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

Hi. I would suggest Cambodia. There is a lot more to see and accommodation costs are not high. Siem Reap is a great place. It has a good infrastructure and most people in the service industry (tourism) speak very good English.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

Great - one vote for Cambodia, thank you for the reply :-)

Mentioned in this post
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

Both places are worth a visit. Luang Prabang has its French Indochine architecture and beautiful rivers and mountain landscapes, Siem Reap has the ancient ruins of Angkor Wat.

You will find accommodation within your budget in both, as well as internet access. Though, same as Thailand, the quality of the internet depends on how much bandwidth the owner of the lodge was willing to pay for (and of course how many users at the lodge).

One thing to keep in mind, neither of these two cities has a Thailand Embassy, so you can not get a new tourist visa there. You will need to go to either Phnom Penh or Vientiane.

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat
40,144 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

Thank you MrCycling for the feedback. How difficult is it to secure a tourist visa in these locations (PP or VV)?

Edited: 6:47 am, December 07, 2012
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

I have never applied for a visa at either, so can't say anything definite. I have heard other folks talk about two day turn arounds, so I would budget at least that many days in your plans.

A word of advice, as you are applying for a visa outside your country of residence and in person, it never hurts to dress "polite" (your best clothes) and be prepared that they might ask to see means of support (ie credit cards, cash, airline tickets, etc).

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

As far as destinations are concerned, I would definitely suggest Lao. However you need to look at the ease of getting a visa. The Thai embassy here in Vientiane are not helpful to say the least. If everything is in order you could pay one of the agents outside the embassy to do the queuing for you. Seriously this is perfectly in order and you will get your passport and visa the next day. I cannot comment on the Thai Embassy in Cambodia.

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

Thanks guys for the tips. I just want to get a visa so I can settle into an apartment somewhere for a month and not have to deal with the hassle of always having the impending visa run. Guesthouses are fine and are cheap, but for the same price an apt would be much more comfortable.

I understand the concerns about getting a visa outside of one's home country, as I had great difficulty in getting a Brazilian visa in Buenos Aires, but when I went to the border town with Brazil had virtually no issues and got the visa the same day I applied. Hopefully the process is straight forward and doesn't become a hassle. Last resort, I can just get a plane ticket back to Bangkok I suppose.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

why not go to burma?? its closer, you can do it in several hours or stay in chiang rai then come back to chiang mai?..if you only want a month in chiang mai??

Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

You need to go to Phnom Penh if you want tourist visa (only place you can have it I think), and even there I got refused, they ask for Bank statement or hotel reservation in ur next destination or flight ticket back to ur original country (where u live before deciding to travel).

In Laos it's VERY easy to get a visa, like very easy, it take 2 days..., Cambodia is a pain for visa and everybody try to scam you. Overall Cambodia is better if you want to visit temple and stuff like that but Laos is more secure, less irritating for visa.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best destination for a Visa run? Laos or Cambodia?

Cambodia is easy for Visa - I'd go to Cambodia. :)

Mentioned in this post