We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

Whats the best area to stay in Chiang Mai?

Somewhere central thats good for night markets, but close to areas where you can do day tours?

Any suggested accomodation Places? Approx $40-$70AU per night??

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

There are a number of different areas in Chiang Mai - and all have their good point.

Many people choose to stay in the old city. It is about 1.5 km square, surround by a moat and in some sections old city walls. The choices inside the old city are mainly B&B, backpacker options, smaller boutique hotels.

Then there is the night bazaar area. This is inbetween the old city and the river. During the day this area is pretty bland, but around 6pm it comes to life with hundreds of street stalls. Lots of food options, including all the usual fast food chains etc in this area. Very colourful at night. Many of the hotels in this area are high rise options.

The other main area would be the riverside area. There are numbers of options along both sides of the river - from guest houses, 5 star hotels, smaller family run places and some highrise as well.

There are small travel agents all over the place to book tours from - and also many hotels have a tour desk as well. Many people also book one of the popular guides ahead of time (see FAQ Guides on the far right of this page for contact details).

All the best,

Caroline.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

Thanks Caroline.

I think my partner and I have decided to stay in Old City.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

There's lots of great options in the old city - there are a number that are very popular on the forum that usually come in a bit higher than your budget - however, do still check them out because you might get one with rooms discounted. Have a look at The Rim, De Lanna, Baan Klang Wiang, Bodhi Serene (all usually around $80 - $100 but you never know). Check directrooms.com

This is a wholesale web page that compares prices across a large number of wholesalers and lists the cheapest price offered.

Also check sawadee.com - a Thai wholesaler - usually good prices.

Raming Lodge is in your price range and it is inbetween the old city and the night bazaar.

Baan Hanibah, The 3 Sis Bed and Breakfast or Pak Chiang Mai could all be worth a look (although these do not have pools).

Caroline.

4. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:00 am, November 14, 2012
KL
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

Hi, am planning to go to Chiangmai for the 1st time with my 80yr old mom and my husband. Which hotel is recommended within easy shopping and eateries and safety especially my mom can't walk too much. Thank you! KP

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

Yes, Baan Orapin is well worth considering, a great little B&B;

http://www.baanorapin.com/

British Columbia
Level Contributor
128 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

We are here now. We are staying inside the old city north of the Tha Phae gate. I would recommend you stay in the area around the Gate, and if you want someting a little upscale for an older person, their are plenty of european style hotels in this are. It is also close to the Night Bazaar and the Warorot markets. Lots of restaurants. A little "Americanized" with McDonalds, B.K. and 7/11. LOL. We walk by many of these hotels every day. Very nice hotels and very convenient location.

Avoid Ratvithi road just west of the east wall, if you want to go to sleep early. Googlr search Zoe's yellow bar(?) and stay away from the are right around it. Fun place to meet people and listen to music, but we've heard complaints from people staying around there. The music is fairly loud. One block away, you are out of the noise as the general hum of the city will drown it out.

Hope that helps a little.

San Diego
Level Contributor
357 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

Hi,

In TA's list of vactaion rentals there are several in the $50 and under range. Can anyone recommend any of these for being centrally located and in a quiet area?

Thanks, Jim

British Columbia
Level Contributor
128 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

Look to stay away from the area just south of the Thae Phae gate. That is where all the go go bars are. That and a little spot just west of the moat on Ratvithi Road, where Zoe in Yellow, is. You want to be near the gate on the east side of the old city to be near the markets and best Restaurants. Really the noise is not that much of an issue, as everything gets pretty quiet around 11:00 p.m., aside from the aforementioned areas. Check out taste of heaven for a real good Vegetarian meal. It is east of the McDonalds by the moat on Chiang Moi Road.

Hope that helps.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best location to stay for Chiang Mai Accomodation

My boyfriend and I ended up booking the Imm Thapae Chiang Mai. It seems to be pretty good location right near the Thae pae Gate. Has anyone stayed there before?