We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked before... but we will be in Chiang Mai for the period of Loy Krathong and a few days after. What is the feeling about organising activities such as day trips during the festival period? Is it business as usual with everything open and available, or is it best to see these few days as a holiday period for most, and lie low a bit, doing local things?

Both types of activity are enjoyable - just being in Chiang Mai will be a joy!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Everything's open as usual, The festival will start at the evening , you will see many people will come out for Loy Krathong at the riverside , canal , park and late at night for fireworks ^^

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Strangely enough, its not a public holiday; as the events are evening ones.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Hi everyone,

I'm resurrecting this old thread with hopes of more feedback. We plan on being in Chiang Mai from Nov 15-18, 2013. It will be our first trip to Chiang Mai. Are the events of Loy Krathong in the evening only, or should we stay local because some parades/events are during the day?

If we venture out of town during the day, will we have traffic issues coming back into town if its early evening? (Coming from Los Angeles, I assume the worst about traffic, but have no idea if CM has any traffic.)

What time do the events get started? I don't need exact info, as I know the schedule hasn't been posted. For example, we would like to try and take a cooking class but want to make sure it wraps up in time for us to see the events that night.

Thanks everyone!

Ashley

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

This received from TAT...

would like to confirm the date of the Lantern Festival in Chiang Mai will be the 16th November 2013, it will be during the Loy Krathong (or Yee Peng Chiang Mai) Festival. This event will be on the 16 - 18 November 2013, details of the event are:

- 16 November 2013: the Lantern parades & processions from Thapae Gate to Chiang Mai Night Bazaar Area (start from 06.00 P.M.)

- 17 November 2013: the Small Krathong parades & processions from Thapae Gate to Chiang Mai Municipal Office (start from 06.00 P.M.)

- 18 November 2013: the Giant Krathong parades & processions from Thapae Gate to Chiang Mai Muncipal Office (start from 06.00 P.M.)

However, the Lantern Floating event or Yeepeng Sansai Festival, the date for tourists will be 23rd November 2013. You can get more information from website: http://yeepenglanna.net/

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Hi Ashley, we were there for Loy Krathong in 2011 and we had no traffic hassles during the day apart from the usual busy roads in the city. The only thing I would suggest is that if you want a restaurant by the river to watch everything then it would be wise to book when you get there because they can be booked out. In saying this, we just booked the day before and managed to get a table. All the activity happens at night and is a fantastic sight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Hi Ashley, we found that during the day, life went on as normal, and we were able to go on day trips etc, despite the fact that much of Chiang Mai had been up all night making merry. But at night the streets along the riverside and no doubt across the river, were chockers. You'd probably have no trouble getting back from day activities, but then you'd want to walk out to dinner or whatever you have planned for the evening, rather than using tuk-tuks or other transport. There'd be no sense sitting in non-moving traffic to get to your dinner.

To follow what QueenslandWendy said about booking, we found that one of our favourite small restaurants asked for a fee to reserve a table on one of the big nights, then wouldn't subtract it from our bill when we paid at the end. As it was, there were plenty of spare tables at the restaurant that night, so we felt a bit cheated. I don't think all restaurants do this, but it may be worth keeping it in mind.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Hi

Loy krathong is festival not a public holiday everything will be open as usual.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Quite a few restaurants request a deposit for a river side seat, especially if you are in the heart of the activity (near Narawat Bridge). But normally it gets applied to your bill. Be sure to ask for a receipt when you pay your deposit, then present that when you get your bill after dinner.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

Thank you for the replies!!

I have a reservation already at The Riverside on November 17 (which I think is the bigger night for boats on the river).

Shall I make additional reservations for the 16th and 18th at other river restaurants? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Loy Krathong: business as usual?

You may find that one night is enough. While the view of all the krathongs floating down the river is spectacular, so is the level of noise. Thais LOVE fireworks and it can be a deafening cacophony along the riverside.