We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa extension

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa extension

Hi all,

I'm in Chiangmai right now, and I'd like to get a visa extension as I'm planning to stay in Thailand until the 6-9 of November. I entered Bangkok, Thailand from Singapore on October 1, and I'm thinking of visiting Laos on the 14/15 this month for about 5-6 days. That being said, I will be short of some days, and I just wanna be sure!

Also, I have a flight from Bangkok to Surat Thani on the 29th of October, will I get an extension from a domestic flight? If yes then I probably won't need to spend extra cash on the extension right?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa extension

Hi,

You will NOT get an 'extension' by virtue of ANY wholly DOMESTIC flight.. Additionally, it is not an extension either.. The only time your period of stay changes when traveling* as when you formally exit and then re-enter the Kingdom.

(This is to differentiate between situations where local Immigration issues an extensions based on application)

When you do re=enter the Kingdom, what you will get, based on your entry status and visa (if any) a new "authorized period of stay" that can be 30 for those entering under the tourist exemption program, to as much as 90 days for those on Non-Immigrant visas.

Given your entry, via what I assume to be airline, date of 01OCT your entry period should expire on the 31st-- that being the end of the 30th day after your date of entry.

Therefore, you are going to be "out of status" for about 14 to 15 days..

As is common in most all parts of the world, it is never a good idea to be out of status for immigration issues, as that exposes you to a range of unpleasant possibilities.. Therefore, you'd be well served to file an application for an Extension of Stay..

Do know that Extensions are NOT automatic and granted solely at the discretion of Immigration.. While I suspect it will not be an issue, I'd be prepared, as pro-active back-up, some documentation to justify your need for an extension.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 4:18 pm, October 08, 2012
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,561 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa extension

If you arrived into Thailand on a visa waiver i.e. without a visa, just a stamp in your passport to give you exemption, you are allowed to stay for upto 30 days. If you leave for Laos on 15th October and return on the 21st if you return by air you will receive a further 30 days waiver (exemption NOT extension), 15 days if by land. So you will be covered until about 21st November if you return from Laos by air, but only until about 6th November if by land. You have to leave Thailand and return to receive a further visa exemption.

Overstaying on your final visa waiver incurs penalties and notations in your passport that could affect future entry into Thailand and may have problems with insurance should anything happen in you overstay period as in effect you would be staying illegally thus invalidating your insurance.

I would arrange your dates to ensure you maximise your visa exemption periods and avoiding any overstay.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa extension

Cheapest Option:

If you arrived on the 1st, you exemption ends on the 30th.

take an overnight bus to Nong Khai on the 15th or so and cross over into Laos. Spend 5 or more days there and when you cross back over into Thailand you will get another 15 days. If you cross over on the 21st, you can stay until the 4th. If you delay your trip by a couple of days or spend a couple more days in Laos, you can easily stretch it out to the 9th of Nov. Also, you could just cancel your BKK to Surat ticket and take the overnight bus from Laos to Surat.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa extension

Well, I think the easiest solution I have is to go to Laos for 6 days on the 15. Is there a bus from Laos to Surat Thani? That's southern Thailand. That's more than just 1 overnight bus.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa extension

No direct bus from Laos, you would be looking at two buses minimum, one across Thailand to Bangkok, one south to Surat Thani ... plus whatever it takes to get from whatever city in Laos you are visiting.

6. Re: Visa extension

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, December 15, 2013