We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter Rental

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter Rental

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what is required to hire a scooter in Chiang Mai and how much they cost. Neither of us have full drivers licences so will this be a problem? We'll be 21 and 22 at time of travel (Feb 07).

I'd like to spend a day or two exploring temples around Chiang Mai and hiring a scooter might be easier on the body than hiring a push bike.

Thanks,

AshRich

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter Rental

- The rental shop will only ask for your passeport. Either you leave it with them and pay the daily rate, or you just give a copy but you'll have to give them a safety deposit (2,000 baht).

The price depends on the scooter. Semi automatic (Honda Dream) cost 150 baht/day,

Full automatic between 200 and 300 baht/day (have 100cc, 110 cc, 125 cc).

- The police if they stop you will ask for a driving licence if you don't have it, you'll get a ticket (200 baht).

- Now the real problem only occurs if you have an accident bad enough to require the help of your insurance company : They'll ask for the appropriate International Driving Licence.

In case of a minor accident with little damage to the scooter, you better give it to repair to a local shop. The rental shop could overcharge you.

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
478 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter Rental

So let me get this straight. If you have a USA drivers license you are ok to rent a scooter. However if you get into an accident, you are screwed unless you have an International Drivers license? Is that right?

We were thinking of renting fully automatic scooters and driving up to Doi Suthep, stopping at the waterfalls on the way. Is this fesible? Is it scary on the highway with a scooter? How long might it take us from Chiang Mai to get to the top of the mountain? Do we need to worry about leaving our scooters unattended while we explore the area?

Doc, as usual, thanks a million!

Susie

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter Rental

Scooter to the Doi Suthep is great. The Highway leading to it is not scary at all. Before theclimb you can stop at the revered Kuba Sivitchai Shrine (on the left) and make offerings to the famous monk.

I've never tried the ride with a full automatic, I find semi auto to be very convenient on mountain roads.

Going straight to the top can be done in 20 minutes.

you better go in the morning or the end of afternoon to avoid buses and crowd.

As for the insurance companies, i don't know about your country, but in mine, if they can fault you and avoid paying... they will.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter Rental

ScubaQ,

You can get an International Drivers License from any AAA office in USA for quite cheap (less than $20 I think). They can even take a passport size picture for you for extra $$ if you don't have one.

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
478 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter Rental

Hey,

Great idea about getting an International Drivers License at AAA in the US. I will check them out! Thanks for the tip!

I really think scooting up to the top of the mountain would be a hoot, especially with 8 of my scuba diving friends! I have read where ya might have to lock up your bike when you are exploring. Can anyone comment on this? Do the rental places rent locks? Is there anyway to tell a good scooter rental place from a bad one? Doc, can you recommend anyone?

We will be staying at the Princess.

Thanks a million

Susie

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter Rental

The rental shop usually provides a lock. Good rental shops are those renting pretty new scooters. Most of the places are small shops, if you need to rent 8 scooters you'll probably have to rent from different places. On the Moonmuang Road (the street along the moat at Taphae Gate) there are quite a few. They should provide you with crash helmets too, chances are they'll be old, worn out and a bit dirty... Riding without helmet will earn you a 200 baht ticket, you can buy a very basic helmet for that price (a police helmet will cost about 350 baht and could do a nice souvenir).