We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tamarind village or yaang Come Village

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tamarind village or yaang Come Village

Have stayed at Baan Orapin before , which we loved but looking for somewhere different this time. Have looked at Tamarind Village and Yaang Come Village. Which one is best and which site shoud I book through to get the best deal?

london
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

think Yaang Come Village seems to edge it but tamarind village has *very* good rates on asiarooms - £22 per night!

asiarooms.com/thailand/…tamarind_village.html

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

thanks for that. £22 does seem really cheap. We prefered the look of Yaang Come Village, but guess we'll be out and about most days so really only need a place to crash (and a pool to chill out in if we decide to stay closer to home)

UK
Level Contributor
944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

I've heard that there is construction going on at or nr Tamarind Village so you may want to check whether that will have finished by the time you go before booking

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

Dear Gillymcgilly, Firstly BellaButterfyl is right about renovation works going on at Tamarind, and completion is scheduled sometime in Oct. 06.

Nevertheless, both hotels are located in different locations.

Tamarind is within the old town area-close to Thapae Gate. Room rates for the "R.O.H" is THB1475 (around GBP21), but the room area is only 32 sqm (344 sq.ft), though their deluxe room with a private balcony are larger,a t 463sq.ft

As for Yaang Come Village ('YCV"), location wise is closer to the Night Bazaar and the commercial activities of ChiangMai. It is much more classy than Tamarind, and the going room rates justify so-- Deluxe room are going for THB4310 (GBP63), whilst the smaller superior room are going for THB3815 (GBP56). The superior room only measures about 409sq.ft, about 86 sq.ft smaller than the deluxe room.

Let's go back to the basic--in which area, do you want to stay in ChiangMai- City Ctr, MaeRim, HangDong, Doi Suthep.

Then if it is City Ctr, do you want to be within walking distance to the Night Bazaar, or close to big shopping malls (Huay Kaew road area), Lanna architecture styled resort, or modern concrete blocks--high rise or low rise, and then of course, how much are you willing to pay for a hotel room--when one becomes a seasoned traveller, even the size of the room matters, then of course the spread of breakfast buffett-- will they have hot scones, muesli with yoghurt or will it be just simple whitegrain toast bread, with chunks of butter (not even Lurpack) and no orange marmalede.

Well, there you have it. In all matter of comparison, all things are relative to each other and linked to one's expectations and desires.

Happy choosing. I will be glad to offer more assistance with hotel picking, have stayed from guest houses to Four Seasons Resort in Thailand--well, if one is always accustomed to Four Seasons Resort facilities and services, and go to guest houses, maybe the nos of thread used for the bedsheets bother you, or even the texture of the toilet paper and whether they turn down the bed with a mint chocolate and hibiscus orchid on your pillow, concern you.

I believe well known Doc(local expert for Chiangmai has commented before), in fact, in few post replies by Doc on hotels selection, he has been very careful to qualify his preferences, in relation to location, ambience.

Whether staff is friendly is very subjective, we are all humankind, with emotions, and have the blues and high vibes, even some are affected by biometric atmospheric pressure, and weather conditions.

Even a country economic performance has bearing on whether people are friendly or courteous, and having travelled round Europe myself--I can say the weather do play a role in the temperaments of its populace-from the cheerful Sainsbury check-out cashier, with the ever lovely--Bye Luv, have a nice day, cheerio. and of course the greetings of hiya luv, how's the weather, whereelse in Thailand-Sawadee and the "wai" gesture.

So, it is rather difficult really to quantify and qualify the grandness of a hotel, unless you know the hotel manager personally; otherwise, hotels are like courting playroom, from the moment you check in:-

a). Fill up this form or " welcome gilly, please have a welcome drink on the house and here is a chilled face towel, our guest relations officer will take you up to your room with all the preferences (e.g. hair dryer, bottles of Evian, that specific coffee, extra pillows, higher floor room and non smoking) as you requested when making the booking.

Our concierge will arrange your luggage to the room impromtu and not I hour later.

b). On the scenario- after filling up the check-in form, maybe a thank you, then given the room key and those breakfast vouchers. You have to carry your own luggage, looking for the lift shaft (if you are staying in those concrete hotel blocks), see yourself to the room, then after opening the room (which could be in darkness, no natural light), find where to insert the key tag to activate the power, then you are on an adventure, trying to acclimatize to this hotel room--where are the switches for these lights, TV, washroom etc, and later to find out--no cable TV--all local channels in local language or even worst, the TV reception hardly exists.

So, the nightmare of finding a suitable hotel in a foreign land, thanks to TripAdvisor, these nightmares could be alleviated to a certain extent.

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

Thanks for the replies. City Centre is definate, also Lanna style. No concrete blocks please. And we don't want to be form filling. Baan Orapin was lovely. Great hosts, OK breakfast, even when we had to be up and out early. Their son even lent our kids water guns to soak people with during the new year celebrations. But we'd like somewhere new this time. I've a felling we'll stump up the cash for Yaang Come, unless anyone else has a view

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

Tamarind Village has construction going on from May to October. Yaang come Village should be THB 3,650 for the Superior and THB 4,150 for the deluxe including tax, service and breakfast, that is what I get on the service I always use.

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

Thanks for this info. We've been quoted the following direct from the hotel.

Room Type Twin / Double

>

>Superior 5,400.-

>Deluxe 6,300.-

>Family room 8,100.-

>Extra bed 1,200.-

Don't know if this is the going rate for Jan 07 as no agencies seem be able to quote yet. Should I book now, as new year is obviously a busy time or should I hold out to see what all the agencies offer, once they get their rates sorted?

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

Sorry,

also should say we are looking at the deluxe rooms (they have a bath - grandma's wish list) and need extra bed for each child. Seems cheaper to do this option rather than 1 familt room and 1 deluxe room

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

Dear Gillymcgilly, it would seem the rates provided direct from the hotel is rather over board.

Monica (local expert @Bangkok) and I have given some rates which are good guidelines, well, variance of THB160 (slightly more than 2quids).

There are several hotel online booking companies and you could check around--some even provide lowest rates guaranteed. Just be careful with their terms and conditions and understand them.

Alternatively, you could contact local agents in ChiangMai, to obtain some indicative rates.

Let me comment here, that in many occassions, when travelling with my Thai friend, he does most of the conversation, at his request, because undoubtedly there is a unpublished local Thai rates and "farang" rates.

It is not something unethical or with no integrity, one must understand the country economy, the purchasing power parity and of course their per capita income, that they view tourist (particularly Westerners) with bigger pockets, albeit the foreign exchange advantage.

I do not know, how much is the average price of fish and chips in UK these days, during my student days in Oxford, (and also work in Manchester), fish and chips was about GBP1 (well,that was like 15 years ago), so coupled with inflation and the value of money, 15years ago GBP1.00 maybe could only get you chips (salt and vinegar please), minus the fish.

But taking this fact across, GBP1 is about THB70 in today FOREX, and with THB70, a commoner in Thai, can get three(3) complete meals, i.e. steamed rice with pieces of chicken and vegetables on the side and a bottle of water.

So, whenever we travel, we must bear this in mind, take for example, just only your airfare, is an average 2(maybe 3) professional Thai monthly income.

At least in Thai, they charge you higher, but they do not do it out right cheating, which is the case in Bali, with money changer.

If you have been to Bali, be careful when exchanging monies; Bali (in Indonesia) gives everyone an opportunity to be a millionaire, well, in today's FOREX I million rupiah is about GBP65. So with GBP65, you get I million rupiah, so what money exchangers do, they give you small notes, do count the notes in front of you, then with swift hands, sometimes 20% of the value is "taken back" and unknowingly you taught, you have the right amount when you stashed into your wallets.

Thai currency are much easier to handle, their biggest denomination is only THB1000, and this is a lot of money for the Thai. Give a THB1000 tip to a Thai, you will see the most gracious "wai" and their facial expressions will tell you, how much your GBP16 meant for them.

GBP16 will get them 14 BigMac in Thailand, how many BigMac can you get with GBP16 in England?

That's a good indices to use--BigMac, to know the economic parity of your visiting country and yours.

Will suggest, if I am getting the right perception that your proposed travelling is in end 2006/early 2007, if possible locked in the price now. Unless you see a higher appreciation of the GBP vis-a-vis THB, which maynot be the case with the prevailing rising of interest rates in GBP and across the world economy.

Have a nice day.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tamarind village or yaang Come Village

Hi Gillymcgilly,

The cheapest rate that I found for Yaang Come Village so far was from Sawadee at 3650 THB for a double/twin superior room during low season in 2006. You can book this room for 4700 THB during Jan 06-Apr 30, 2007, 5700 THB for delux. Cheaper than what you've been quoted by the hotel. Hope this helps you some.

Here's the link to YCV rates: www.sawadee.com/hotel/chiangmai/yaangcome