We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air pollution & weather

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Air pollution & weather

My husband and I will be in Chiang Mai on May 3rd for 5 days. How's the weather and air pollution there? Is it unbearable?! With the news on the burning in March to April, I'm concerned about the air quality. We plan to visit some temples and Patara Elephant farm.

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air pollution & weather

Not as bad as earlier in the month.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Air pollution & weather

Thank you!

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air pollution & weather

Tuesday 24 April @ 8:51 am - sunny and HOT. We have been having thunder showers late on some afternoons. Air quality is much better than it was as Frank M posted above. Stay cool and enjoy Chiang Mai. Marie (nannyre)

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Air pollution & weather

The March haze is gone, but we are in summer now and it is HOT ... 37 - 38 C. And rumors from the weather gods is that May will start off even hotter. Hope you reserved a hotel room with A/C.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air pollution & weather

Thanks so much for the details! How long do the thunder showers last? Should I pack a light jacket?!

Looking forward to my 1st trip to Chiang Mai! :)

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Air pollution & weather

Thunderstorms don't usually last too long, if you are out and about on foot or a scooter, you can sit them out in a shop or cafe.

Can't see any need for a jacket ... its too hot to wear a raincoat, you will be wetter inside from sweat.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Air pollution & weather

How is the air pollution right now in Chiang Mai? We are traveling to Chiang Mai from March 28-30th. Is there any reason for concern?

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air pollution & weather

New2asia: the expected rains should clear up the sky by the time you arrive.

Patel: It's pretty bad right now, for the past two days while at work (I work about 15min south of the old city center) we have had the haze covering the grounds with the smell of burning. On the way back home the mountains and Doi Suthep were obscured by the haze.

I do live inside the city, and the haze is less here due to less burning, but you will notice it, especially if you travel to places like Mae Rim for elephant treks.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Air pollution & weather

Mark B - Always good to see more locally based folks participating, but you might want to check post dates before replying, New2Asia traveled in 2012 ;-)

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air pollution & weather

Doh, I read Patel's post date and new's post.... At least I can help Patel.

Last night I went out camping with some friends and from the turn off to all the Mae Rim activities we could barely see the mountain. When it became dark we could see almost a dozen areas being burned, on the lake it was foggy and smoggy, had fun but not the best for our lungs!