We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live music in Chiang Mai

Sydney
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Live music in Chiang Mai

I wrote a trip report on the North Gate last week and promised another one for a new bar somebody told me about. I thought I'd start a new thread for it, maybe we can use it for reviews of other music bars in Chiang Mai.

The new bar I went to is called the Bear Bar and they have a neat web site here: http://www.thebearbar.com

The person who told me about it said there was a party on, but there weren't many people there. Maybe they forgot to tell anyone? But even though there weren't many people, the music was fantastic. The first set was a girl who sang and played latin music on a guitar and she was great. I saw her at the Smile party not long ago and she was awesome then as well! After her was a big latin combo, 6 or 7 people, and the music was crazy wild, very danceable.

The bar also sells food. I had some Thai food, which was some of the best I've ever had. They also do home-made pizza which looked and smelled good coming out of the oven. The service was a bit slow, they didn't have enough staff, but given the number of customers, they probably don't need too many. The owner told me they've only been open a few months, but people are starting to find out about the place and business is picking up.

She also said they're trying to be a serious music venue, so for me that's great! There was a board outside with who's playing and it looks like they have acoustic music in the first half of the week, then jazz and latin bands in the second half.

Recommended.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

Sounds like a nice venue, what sort of age range were the customers and where is it?

Sydney
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

It was a mixed crowd. Some foreign couples who looked like retirees, young Thais who looked like friends of the musicians. It was good in that way, not a place where only farangs hang-out or only Thai kids go.

There's a map on the web site but it's on Loi Kroa road, right at the end where it ends at the river.

Sydney
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

Another vote for this bar. The service was definitely a bit ordinary but the food made up for it.

There was a thai guy plaing some kind of electronic clarinet that had all different sounds in it, like a guitar or keyboard or violin. It was pretty cool and worth checking out just for that!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

sounds good,i will check it out in the next few days....

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

Reggae bar area.. Hands down!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

what do you mean...reggae bar area?is there such an AREA there?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

Rajawithi Road, near the Irish Pub. Just ask a tuk-tuk driver for Zoe In Yellow :-)

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

Of course there is... The best place!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

just got back from boy blues bar at the night market...

guitarist,bass and drums,nice unit,very guitar solo orientated...

it is a monday night,and i was told by the barman that its a jam night tonight....went back to guesthouse and picked up my saxophone,then arriving back,between numbers,asked the guitarist/singer if i could jam,and if its okay just sit in when i think the number would be good for me.......he said,"first you have to buy a drink,then he would call me up sometime after that",i replied,usually i play,then the bar buy's me a drink"....he said,"never heard of that unless you are famous"......

okay,not a good start,and one would always buy a drink normally...

i thought it was a bit pretentious,so stay for a few tunes...then left,not that hard up to jam.....

anyways,there will be other days ahead to play somewhere...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live music in Chiang Mai

am staying next to the "reggae bar area",crikey,its very noisy.....

i have been in there a few times,as i live so close....

there are usually 3 or 4 live bands and 2or3 dj bars,all going at the same time,and the loudest they can possibly turn up their amplifiers....

they start around 10pm and go to around 2am....

out of the live music,i have seen mostly heavy rock,rock and pop,plus some reggae.....

most of the crowd are around 18-30 years old....and many heavy drinking going on.....

big party place....

Edited: 3:09 am, October 10, 2012