We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai / Krabi...Lots of questions!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1,410 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai / Krabi...Lots of questions!!!

Hi guys,

I am going to Thailand for 2 weeks in March and coming back in April. I am staying 7 days is Chiang Mai and then 8 days in Krabi with my boyfriend. We have booked the Empress for Chiang Mai and pavilion Queens Bay for Krabi. There are a huge bunch of questions I want to ask, and help is appreciated in advance.

1. What things can we do in Chiang mai in the seven days we have?

2. What restaurants are good in Chiang Mai and Krabi? Anyone been to the ‘wok’ restaurant in Chiang mai?

3. Any reviews on the empress?

4. What are good and reliable tour companies in both destinations?

5. Whats the pavilion queens bay like?

6. How far is Trang from Krabi? And whats the best way to do it?

7. It’s my boyfriend’s birthday while we are there and suggestions on what we can do and a nice restaurant we can go to?

8. Also what will the weather be like there?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Lanna Kingdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Untouched Thailand
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours
Chiang Mai Biking
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Chiang Mai Tour Center
Private Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Carnamah, Western...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai / Krabi...Lots of questions!!!

Hi!

I went to Thailand for 6 weeks 6 years ago(phew time flys!) I ended up staying 4 months!! I loved it so much I just kept extending my ticket. I spent the first 4 weeks on the islands but I fell in love with Chiang Mai.

6 years is a long time ago so I can't say if the places I loved are still there.

But the old city definately is. Its surrounded by a moat. (canals) Wander around this part and you will find plenty of backpacker hostels but also litle thai homes with massage,yoga & cooking schools, gorgeous little laneways and backstreets.

You can do an overnight trip up the mountain to Pai, a gorgeous little town. The travel up the mountain is very winding and slow. Take motion sickness tablets if your that way inclinded. I also loved a bar in Chiang Mai called 'The Riverside' - if its still there. Great Thai musicians gather here and the bar next door and play quality western music. chiang Mai also does great treks. You visit the villagers in the mountains, ride elephants and raft on the river.

Buy a lonely Planet book. They have EVERYTHING you need at your fingertips.

Best wishes for a fabulous holiday you'll never forget.

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1,410 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai / Krabi...Lots of questions!!!

Thanks for that, i was already dying to go and now the wait is unbearable. thanks again for your feedback.

Calgary
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai / Krabi...Lots of questions!!!

We were in Chiang Mai last year and we stayed at a guest house called "Seven Suns" which is owned by some Aussies. A very clean place with private bathrooms and good food! Because it is a guest house you get to mingle with some fasinating people. We did a day trip to a nearby town of Bor Sang and bought some very unique pottery. The tuks-tuk drivers in ChiangMai are great and take you to your destination without "pit stops". We were only in Chiang Mai for 2 days, but we loved it.

PS: scrap the "tour companies". You can see Chiang Mai and the neighbouring countryside by yourself. My wife and I were both inexperienced travellers and made it from China to Singapore on our own. Tours cost big dollars and you get herded like cattle!

PS: there is a Dairy Queen in the Chiang Mai airport which was an awesome thing to see.

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1,410 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai / Krabi...Lots of questions!!!

Thanks for that it was very helpful, especially about the tours. Thanks again

NY, NY
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Mai / Krabi...Lots of questions!!!

Hello from Chiang Mai. I am here as we speak looking around for other things to do. I flew here from Ko Samui (an island not far from Krabi).

I read the other reviews, I can't agree more on the scrap the tours. I have been here (thailand) for a month and haven't needed a guide except for travel arrangements and they have places called TATs which are helpful, a little pricey but you feel comfortable.

If you want to something special for your BF, take him to Phi Phi, short trip from Krabi by ferry. Romantic and absolutely beatiful.

Not sure when you are coming, but it's very hot here. Guess in the mid 90s everyday. When getting rooms, I suggest A/C, a little more but worth it. A lot of rooms depending on where you stay offer fans at a lower price.

Personally I think 7 days in Chiang Mai is a lot. There is a lot to do:

Hill Tribe (live with the locals)

Elephant tours

Rafting - not sure it's good this time of year.

Spend a day or two just touring around the city and the temples.

Get to the temple on the hill, a bit of work but incredible.

Good luck and enjoy

Steve

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1,410 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Mai / Krabi...Lots of questions!!!

Hi steve,

Thanks for that, I'm flying tomorrow and have been checking the weather it is roasting and i cannot bear the heat!!! but even still really acnnot wait to go there