We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Rafting

scottsdale
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
River Rafting

My wife and I are considering taking the "Exciting CHiang Mai" tour with Chiangmaitic, has anyone done this?

My wife is worried that riding the elephants or the river rafting is dangerous, can anyone quell her fears?

Lanna Kingdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Untouched Thailand
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Chiang Mai Biking
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Chiang Mai Tour Center
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Rafting

Riding elephants is not dangerous, it is uncomfortable and can become boring if the only scenery you get is the swinging tail of the elephant in front.

River rafting, well there are 2 kinds :

- Rubber rafts used for white water rafting, it's spectacular, and can be a bit scary especially during/after the raining season.

- Bamboo rafting, it's done on quiet streams and is rather relaxing.

USA
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Rafting

One of the real luxuries in touring TL is the very low cost of private tours. My wife and I spent 3 days touring northern TL in a van with guide and driver (they are separately licensed specialties).

There are many licensed travel operators in TL. We dealt with: www.cmmarvel.com and got a very good deal. I suggest you consider a net search, find 3 companies, give them a list of the things you want to do and get competing bids.

I don't know how the cost of bus tours and private tours compare in CM, but are very similar in BKK. Close enough, in fact, that one would only choose the former if one liked having lots of company.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Rafting

I'd say for some tours like Elephant camp or river rafting, you don't really need a tour operator. Just ask a taxi to bring you to the entrance, and spend the time you want, by yourself.

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Rafting

Elephant riding is not dangerous. It may seem scary at first especially when the 'big guy' takes his first step!

Bamboo rafting is safe cause at any rapids that come along, you will have to get off the raft! The guide will also not want to take any risks!

Whitewater rafting on the other hand is more for the adventurous! But again, you may request to get off the raft at any stopping point if you feel unsafe!

I have been on all of the 3 activities mentioned, plus mountain biking also. Together with me was my 10 year old daughter, who initially also had her jitters and my concerns for her safety! In the end, we enjoyed ourselves and will definitely be back for more!

london
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Rafting

I'll be in Chiang Mai in May with my girlfriend and having read various posts in this forum and guidebooks, I'm also interested in doing a 2 of 3 day tour.

Looking at the "usual" stuff of elephant trekking, bamboo rafting, white water rafting and a village or 2 (Karen tribe perhaps)

A couple of posts have mentioned that these things can be booked without booking on a tour. What is the best option? Especially with, for example, 2 day tours for 1,400 bht including overnight stay, is it easier / cheaper / more convenient just to do stuff without a tour, or for a first-timer, would a tour where everything is arranged for you be be better? And also what about the safetyy / insurance aspect with or without a recognised tour guide?

Thanks

Jonny