We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chang Mai to Vietnam (HANOI)

Leigh, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Chang Mai to Vietnam (HANOI)

Hi All :-)

Just looking for thoughts, ideas and experiences and timescales to get from Chang Mai to Hanoi as looking at doing this in December this year . I would like to see some scenery on the way so flying not really in my mind.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chang Mai to Vietnam (HANOI)

It is quite possible to go overland via Laos. You would catch the bus from CM to Chiang Khong, then by boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. By bus from there to Dien Bien Phu, then either straight to Hanoi by bus or up to Sapa and take the train into Hanoi from Lao Cai.

You might post on the Luang Prabang forum to get feedback on how long the bus trip takes from LP to DBP.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chang Mai to Vietnam (HANOI)

For me, I booked Air Asia from Chiangmai - BKK and BKK-Hanoi.

Check with Air Asia Promotions. You will get good deal.

Leigh, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chang Mai to Vietnam (HANOI)

Thanks for advice :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chang Mai to Vietnam (HANOI)

depends on how much time you have. River trip down Mekong takes 2 days to LP. You can fly to *Luang Prabang stay 3days, Lots to do see Laos then take the bus to *Van Vieng 3 to 4 days. (7 hours) Stay there a few days wonderful nature and adventure. bus down to Vientianne (51/2 hours). 2 days tops there. Check sites. You can then bus or fly south further down Laos. Or fly to *Siem Reap 3 days and see Angkor Wat. Bus down to Phnom Penh 2 days then make your way by bus train or plain to Hanoi through Vietnam. In Vietnam see - *Hoi An, Hue, *Hanoi, *Sapa, *Halong Bay. I would allow 9 days Laos 5 days Cambodia then 2 weeks Vietnam. I will put asterisk next to best places.

But check the sites yourself to see what suits you. You can fly from Siem Reap to Hanoi direct.

Its hardly worth travelling the road if you can't stop to smell the roses.

5. Re: Chang Mai to Vietnam (HANOI)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2012