We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking tours

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
booking tours

I have now changed my reservation to be at the Yaang Come Village as it looks really good.

I am wondering about tours. Will it be ok to book them when we arrive into Chiang Mai. We will arrive on the late afternoon of March 8 from Bangkok and depart for Phuket on the morning of March 11.

My kids definitely want to ride an elephant so that needs to be in the plans. I also want to see the long neck women. Where would be the best place for this. Can this be done in one day.

Everyone has been so helpful with planning this trip. It is much appreciated.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking tours

You can book once you're there. Elephant riding can be done in various places, at most camps you don't need to book anything, you just show up at the entrance, preferably in time for the show and the elephants bathing.

About the long neck women, sorry I can't help you, I have really mixed feelings about what appears to me as a human zoo. There's a lot of money made from their exploitation, unfortunately, it doesn't go in their pockets.

2. Re: booking tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:37 pm, February 04, 2006
Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking tours

Thanks for the help. I do agree with you Doc that the long neck women are probably like a human zoo when you put that perspective on it. I guess it is like all other tours that I have been on in other countries where you see the "locals living in their habitat", really they are only on display. I hoped that they would somehow be compensated from our intrusion. (It does make us sound kind of pathetic now for wanting to see them as it aids in their exploitation)

Often when we have gone to developing countries on holidays, we have brought clothing, toys etc to give to the children in the outlying areas. I'm just wondering how we could possibly do something of this nature here. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking tours

I think the best you can do is to buy what they have to sell, it will make a small souvenir and this money will go to them. Also it might be better to go there on your own (I mean not with a tour group) and take the time to talk to them. Too often the groups are unloaded and make a round of photos before leaving for the next attraction.

The difference with the other tribes you can visit, is that the long neck have been brought here from Burma by businessmen who saw the opportunity to make money. Their point is that they're better treated here than in Burma... can't really argue with that.

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking tours

Thank you for your assistance. If we were going to go on our own without a tour, when would be the best time of day to go, and is it easy to get there.

Would it be best to go with a rental car, or a taxi.

Singapore
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: booking tours

Chiang Mai is a compact city and most attrations are within walking distance from your hotel (Yang Come)

If you need to go to an elephant camp there are many tour companies that can arrange this, also the long-necked women (Padaung tribe)

Just ask at your hotel info desk. Unlike Bangkok, prices are quite competitive and do not differ whether you book from a guesthouse or hotel.

Buy a Nancy Chandler map of Chiang Mai and enjoy yourself exploring this unique city.

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking tours

Thanks for the help....Everyone is great.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the trip gets closer

Malaysia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking tours

I did the one day tour including:

-Orchid farm

-Mae Teng Elephant Farm ( Elephant show,

Ox-cart riding, elephant riding, Bamboo

rafting)

-Chiang Dao Cave

-Karen long neck

I pay for Baht1250/per person. So don't worry, is easy to book from tour agent/desk when u were there in Chiang Mai.

Have a great holiday with your family in Chiang Mai

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: booking tours

Thanks Catherineohs,

Did you book with a specific company to do that tour or do all of the tour companies offer pretty much the same options.

I'm also wondering how you enjoyed Chiang Mai, as a friend just got back and she wasn't really keen about the place. It didn't sound like anything really specific though.

It makes a person start to second guess their plans when you start hearing less than great things.

We're booked to stay 3 nights, but now I'm wondering if I should cut it down to 2 and add another day onto Phuket since we'll only be in Phuket for 5 nights.

Thanks for your help.

Indian expat in...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: booking tours

These are the most common tours which every other tour operator on every road of Chiang Mai is selling:

-1 day Chiangrai & Golden Traingle (also includes 3 hilltribes Akha, Yao and Long neck Karen)

-Wat Doi Suthep-a big Wat close to the city supposed to be quite beautiful

-1 day Doi Inthanon National park (for elephant ride, bamboo rafting and waterfall),

-Night Safari

-1 day Five Hilltribe Explorer trip

-1 day/half day Elephants at Work trip with elephant ride.

We did some off the beaten track tours which surprisingly none of the tour operators are selling. Did it on ourselves by taking a tuk tuk.

-Wang Koom Kaam (close to the city) (a site of ruins on horse ride, in case you are a history buff)

- 1 day Sukothai & SriSachinalai tour (historical park full of ruins) (very far but worth it)

Dont miss the Sunday Night Bazaar for some shopping at dirt cheap rates.

We stayed 3 days.

1st day for Chiangrai & Golden Triangle

2nd day for Chiangmai city, Wang Koom Kaaam and Night bazaar as it was a sunday.

3rd day for Sukothai and Srisachinalai.

Quite hectic but worth the effort.

Did not do the elephant ride as we've done that before.