We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

How much does it cost for the train from BKK to Chiang Mai?

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

1st class sleeper 1353THB

2nd class sleeper 881THB

2nd class seat 431THB - 611THB

3rd class 271THB

seat61.com/…20Mai

...further info;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c130620/Thail…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

You also may want to consider other means of transportation (bus or plane) both are faster, bus is cheaper and sometimes you can get a good price for a flight and save a ton of time.

new zealand
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

I just got back and loved the overnight train and have 2 suggestions

dont buy the food on board ( the beer is fine !) and do book the aircon private sleeper , you get 2 bunks an upper and lower

The best sleep I had all trip - cheers

Melbourne
Level Contributor
160 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

Thanks Lola, your response gave us confidence as we are thinking of taking the train in June. How did you book your tickets?

Thanks so much -Jules

London
Level Contributor
156 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

The easiest way to get information is at seat61.com. It is a really easy site to navigate and gives you all the info you'll need. I agree about the onboard food..I'd buy food before you get on. We stayed in the second class sleeper and really enjoyed it. It is still well airconditioned, a little too cool maybe, but lots of fun as you get to meet lots of people (or alternatively pull your curtai across and ignore everyone!).

Yes plane might be quicker, and bus cheaper, but this is an experience not to be missed, For me, the journey is part of the experience. The views in the morning on the way into Chiang Mai are not to be missed.

Enjoy

San Diego...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

Thanks everyone!!!

Kamphaeng Phet...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

While your in Chiang Mai hop a Baht bus/tuk tuk to the train station. They have an advance ticketing office there and you can pre-buy your tickets or do it in bangkok. If your not going during a holiday or major high season time you should be able to find tickets the day you travel but to be sure pre-buy them at the train station.I suggest 2nd class air con sleeper. In first class you are literally 'locked" in your train car. 2nd class you get the vendors that will come on at certain stations selling beer and food. They sell some awesome thai style fried chicken and the beer/drinks are ice cold and cheap....... 2nd class will have 2 seats that face each other. You can put a table between the 2 seats if you want. They are folded and stored under a set of seats. Just look down you will see them. The only drawback to 2nd class is the top bunk because the lights in the train stay on so not so dark up there.

Kamphaeng Phet...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

Here is the website to the State railway of Thailand. But can be slow and down sometimes...

http://www.railway.co.th/english/index.asp

9. Re: Bangkok to Chiang Mai train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 21, 2010