We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai Zoo - Panda Dung Souviners???

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai Zoo - Panda Dung Souviners???

Hi

I need your help again. We are wanting to go tho the Chiang Mai zoo while on our Thailand trip in May.

Can anyone tell me if they still sell these Panda Dung Souvineers at the zoo?

How much they cost?

Can you buy the Panda Dung Souviners in the City at a market or something similar?

TIA

:)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai Zoo - Panda Dung Souviners???

Im arfaid to ask !

What the ???

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai Zoo - Panda Dung Souviners???

I imagine NZ quarantine would like to take a sniff before you leave the airport back home.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai Zoo - Panda Dung Souviners???

They used to sell paper products made from panda dung, but it has been a while since I explored the zoo, so don't know for sure if they still do. There are a couple of places currently producing paper products from elephant dung.

Some countries don't look to fondly on the paper if you tell them it is from elephant poop, best to simply call it handmade paper.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai Zoo - Panda Dung Souviners???

There were Panda Dung souviners at the zoo. There is a little booth type shop in the actual Panda enclosure. There were a number of products made from Panda Dung.

But - Beware - NZ quarantine will confiscate them for sure. There are many products made from elephant dung in Chiang Mai - photo frames, little boxes etc. There are also products made from Mulberry Bark. The Mulberry ones are fine to bring back into Aus - anything made from dung is highly prohibited. I imagine it's the same in NZ.

Any paper products that have plant matter in them will also be conficated - like rose petals, seeds etc.

Caroline.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Mai Zoo - Panda Dung Souviners???

Going off topic .. this thread got me curious enough to explore NZ custom's website ... got a smile or two out of me.

Did you know that NZ customs prohibits importing crayons and camel hair paint brushes (animal hair might contain anthrax)? Also no nuclear weapons from Iran or anti-personnel mines. You also can't bring in rubber hot water bottles nor anything made by prisoners. It was an interesting mix. Guess it is time to see what oddities my government has on their list ;-)

6. Re: Chiang Mai Zoo - Panda Dung Souviners???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 pm, October 23, 2009