We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai - weather in April

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai - weather in April

Hi there,

I'd love to go to Chiang Mai in April (2 weeks including Easter), but I'm a little worried about the weather: Is it too hot to go trekking and is it likely to rain. Do you recommend going to the region in April in general?

Thank you, any help is much appreciated!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai - weather in April

The weather will be in the low 30s.

To keep check look at these website.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=2

http://weather.uk.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:THXX0003&q=Chiang+Mai%2c+THA

Also see this post in this Forum.

north thailand march / april

I hope they will be of help.

Ed

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai - weather in April

April in the city should be boiling, or roasting, since it will be dry too. However, doing trekking in the jungle should be cooler.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai - weather in April

Chiang Mai is quite warm in April, average temps in the mid-30s. It tends to be the hottest month. Temperatures are better in the mountains, but still quite warm during the early afternoon.

April is the transition between dry and rainy season, we get some showers, but not a lot. Mostly afternoon or evening convection storms.

Easter this year coincides with Song Kran (Thai New Year). Chiang Mai is busy during Song Kran, don't wait too long to book your room.

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai - weather in April

The answer to your question is hot, very hot.

As you you will be there over the Easter holiday, you will get to see the Songkran Festival. This is the Thai New Year when everyone in Chiangmai lines the streets around the cty moat and for three days throw water over each other. It is chaotic madness and great fun for the first day if you let your hair down and join in. After that it becomes a little tedious - you go back to your hotel/guesthouse, for example, shower and change to go out for dinner in the evening. As soon as you step outside onto the streets Thai kids surround you and soak you again using high powered water pistols. Do not believe those that tell you all the water throwing stops at dusk. That used to be the case but not any longer.

My advice is to stay outside the moat e.g. find a guesthouse or hotel along Huay Kaew Road or in the sois off Nimmanhemin Road (close to the university), and travel into the city for one day to witness this madness!

Mentioned in this post
Songkran Festival Chiang Mai
Songkran Festival Chiang...
65 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Mai - weather in April

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll be looking for a different destination to go to in April and go to Chiang Mai next year in Feb... something to look forward to already :-)!

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Mai - weather in April

The best time to visit Chiang Mai - weatherwise - is between November and end of February. Blue skies, warm/hot sun during the daytime and cool (wear a jacket) at night. Wherever you decide to go, have a great time!

Bon voyage!

7. Re: Chiang Mai - weather in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 16, 2009