We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to northern Thailand from Apr.24th to May8th 09

sarasota, Fl.
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
traveling to northern Thailand from Apr.24th to May8th 09

Hi

I'm reading that it's probably the worst time to travel to Thailand, but unfortunately have no choice as to dates. Anyone can give me tips where to go that might be a little cooler..transportation, prefer

cheap flights or a/c busses. Would like to go in to the mountainous regions where it might be a little better. Any tips on which bordering country to go, Laos, Vietnam or Burma. Only have 2 weeks, so want to make the most of my trip.

Thanks

Sally

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,126 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to northern Thailand from Apr.24th to May8th 09

Hi Sally,

You'll have a wonderful time in Thailand and hopefully some of the forums will help you narrow down 'things to do'.

It is always slightly cooler in the Nth.

You could easily spend your whole two weeks exploring the Nth - so many things to see and do.

Most travellers spend time in Chiang Mai and use it as a base to explore further afield. Chiang Mai is a wonderful place - in my opinion 'the best' of Thailand. The city itself is surrounded by small villages. Many of these make wonderful handicrafts and art pieces. The old city in Chiang Mai is surrounded by a moat and there are many, many temples to wander around. Also, great food, coffee shops, bars - book shops etc.

You could also spend some time in the Golden Triangle and travel from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. There are a number of ways to do this. Directly it is only three hours by bus (or a short flight). You can also hire a guide and explore the surrounding hill tribes and do some treking.

Maybe if you look further on the forum - particularly on the Things to Do list on the left, you can then ask some specific questions. People on the forum are really helpful.

I have a couple of trip reports from mid October on both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. If you click on my profile you'll find the reports around mid October.

Caroline.

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to northern Thailand from Apr.24th to May8th 09

The North will be cooler at this time. Can you ride a motorbike? If you can, this is a cheap way of gaining freedom from having to adhere to bus timetables and you can explore as you wish. There are many places you can hire a bike in Chiangmai - just make sure they have proper insurance cover and always wear a helmet! Once hired, my suggestion is to head for the border with Burma and explore different places on the way. E.g. spend a night in Fang another at Doi Mae Salong, after that Doi Tung before arriving at the Golden Triangle. From there you can cross the border into Burma for a short visit (you'll have to fly in if you want to spend any time there).

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to northern Thailand from Apr.24th to May8th 09

The North will be cooler at this time. Can you ride a motorbike? If you can, this is a cheap way of gaining freedom from having to adhere to bus timetables and you can explore as you wish. There are many places you can hire a bike in Chiangmai - just make sure they have proper insurance cover and always wear a helmet! Once hired, my suggestion is to head for the border with Burma and explore different places on the way. E.g. spend a night in Fang another at Doi Mae Salong, after that Doi Tung before arriving at the Golden Triangle. From there you can cross the border into Burma for a short visit (you'll have to fly in if you want to spend any time there).

4. Re: traveling to northern Thailand from Apr.24th to May8th 09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, October 15, 2009