We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

Hi

really want to go on an elephant trek while in chaing mai, but im worried i will pick a tour where the elephants are exploited, does anynoe know the best places to do it?

1. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:53 pm, June 19, 2008
sangkapang
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

Well I know this is a touch subject but will answer at the fear of being lectured to.

I personally recommend Buddy tours they us the elephants from a camp that the owner lady went to University in the states and they look after all the elephants i have seen very well. Just google them as I do not know thew website.

Yes I have nothing to do with the camp or the tour company professionally.

I am sure you will enjoy the experience and helps the owners of the elephant pay for their up keep. As elephants are not cheap to keep.

manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

leeds
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

If you just want to spend time with elephants, feeding, washing etc. Try the elephant nature reort which takes in mistreated elephants. You can spend a fantastic day up close and also stay if you like.

5. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:54 pm, June 21, 2008
Kapolei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

The thai elephant conservation center was amazing. changthai.com is their web site. It was the highlight of our trip.

San Diego
Level Contributor
59 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

Most of the elephants that are made to trek are exploited, not sure if you are going to get around that one if you are going to ride one. I highly suggest the Elephant Nature Park or the Elephant Conservation Center. You will be able to spend more time with the elephants and learn about them instead of riding them for just an hour or so. At the ENP you even get to feed and bathe them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

I had some very serious concerns about an elephant outing and after talking to the owners of my guesthouse, we ended up at Patara Farms. It's owned by a vet and he employs a couple of vet nurses. It is a real farm and they only have about 8 or 9 elephants including a baby that was only 2 months old when we were there. It is really a trek and you learn A LOT and spend the entire day with your one elephant including about five hours of bare back riding. You'll learn why a basket is painful for them, etc. It was one of the highlights of my seven week trip. Feel free to email me directly if you want some additional info. It's a little more pricey but totally worth every dollar.

9. Re: elephant trek- worries about how they are treated

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 02, 2009