We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son Tour

Miami
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son Tour

Is it doable to visit Mae Hong Son from Chiang Mai without actually staying overnight in Mae Hong Son? Or should we visit Mae Hong Son and stay overnight? Should we prebook our tour or book once we arrive in Chiang Mai. We will be in Chiang Mai from De 6, 2007 - Dec 11, 2007. Thank you!

Go With Me Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Chiangmai - Merrytravel
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son Tour

It is a pretty long drive, 245 km one way is the shorter of two routes. You could take bus of fly. Flying is obvioiusly the quickest...but still, schedule may not allow for a one-day visit without spending night. http://thailand.sawadee.com/maehongson/

Miami
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son Tour

Thank you Fish2! Do you think we should prebook our tour to Mae Hong Son from the US or should we wait until we arrive in Chiang Mai to book our tour. We'll be in Chiang Mai from Dec 6 -11 and are a little worried about tours being full since it'll be busy season. Any suggestions? Prebook or wait until we get there? Thank you again!

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son Tour

I would wait until you get there. Chiang Mai has loads of travel agents/tour bookers and while they all seem to offer basically the same thing, there are sometimes some offered that sound better than others. I'd be more inclined to work out where I wanted to go and to book a driver/guide or both to do my itinerary and hopefully offer some suggestions of their own as well. There is no shortage of drivers and guides, so waiting is no problem.

Queensland
Level Contributor
525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son Tour

Here is a tour operator I cannot recommend highly enough. He is swiss born living in Chiang Mai and highly reputable. offers all types of tours.

email him and he will assist name of Daniel.

http://www.siamsun.com/

Rayong, Thailand
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son Tour

If you get the slightest bit travel sick then fly! Ive driven the road a few times and every time the missus gets car sick. There's a lot of switch backs, up and down as the road tends to go over all the mountains and not around them. Stunning scenery though.

6. Re: Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 13, 2009