We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY or packages tour?

KL, malaysia
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
DIY or packages tour?

I will be going to chiangmai for 5 days in early july, 2 Adults.

hoping to visit chiangrai also.

is it convenience and cheap to DIY my tour? are those attractions far apart from one another - easy to connect from one place to another?

or easier to book an all inclusive 5D4N package tour?

thank you

Lanna Kingdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Untouched Thailand
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours
Chiang Mai Biking
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Chiang Mai Tour Center
Private Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
KL
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY or packages tour?

I am just back from Chiang Mai for 4 days free and easy.

As long as u do some homework before the trip, I dun see any difficulties on DIY trip. I like DIY as I could go on my own pace.

Chiang Mai pple are sincere and friendly. Most of them know simple english.

You can join the local tour at any of the tour agencies. The price is quite competitive and u might get better rate since July is not their peak season. "Bargain" is the golden word.

I joined their 1 day trekking tour and it was so wonderful that I think I dun mind to pay more to join the tour.

Everything at Chiangmai needs bargain incl their song thiaw (red mini bus), tuk tuk, shoppings, hotels, local tours etc.

Do incl Sunday nite in your itiniary as they'll have the sunday nite market which is really huge with many varieties and reasonable bargain.

July could be a lot of rains, do bring raincoat or umbrella. Pack insects repellient in your luggage...many mosquitoes too.

2. Re: DIY or packages tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:44 am, December 20, 2008
KL, malaysia
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY or packages tour?

Dear all,

thanks for your tips.

Do you know the any website where i can get the complete info about chiangmai & chiangrai?

Also - any cheap and convenience hotels you can recommend?

regards.

4. Re: DIY or packages tour?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:44 am, December 20, 2008
KL
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY or packages tour?

U'll be surprise at low season, walk in rate is better than advance booking thru internet at chiang mai hotels or guest house.

What i did is I make reference to the internet booking rate and contact/bargain directly to the targetted hotels...and I got lowest rate from internet booking also the hotel published rate.

hotelthailand.com

I am not very crazy abt night baazar as I feel the stuff there are overpriced. Sunday walking street at Sunday nite in the old town is a better choice for shopping.

Personally I find the location near Wat Pra Singh is the best. Easy access food outlets, cafes, shoppings, temples and many many tour agencies and massages.

To know more abt Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, check out www.chiangmai1.com and www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com

SC
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY or packages tour?

The other poster is correct that things neat Wat pra Singh are really great,,,it is just a bit less busy. Do not bother with worrying what is near what--a tuk tuk ride is $1-3US!! But many things are within walking distance. The night market is nice, but all things there can be purchased even cheaper by a trip (via tuk tuk) in China Town.

There are many choices for activities and all the travel agencies bombard you with information!! Always bargain--it is the rainy season and things are not filled. A day cooking school is great and a trip either a day or overnight to the Elephant Nature Park (1 1/2 hours) north of Chaing mai is a must!! Many of the trekking camps take questionable care of their elephants, but ENP offer a great experience--feeding the elephants, swimming in the river with them, walking in the forest with them and also a great informational program. They have a SUPER lunch too!

Don't forget to visit one of the temples as well.

Have a great trip!

(We stayed at ManaThai--highly recommend!)

7. Re: DIY or packages tour?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 5:28 am, September 02, 2009