We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking in Chiang Mai and restaurant

Spain
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Biking in Chiang Mai and restaurant

Hi all,

We will be in CM in 16 days!

We will stay for 5 days- we being me, my husband and 14 and 12 year olds. We will stay with friends, but they have to work some of the time we are there.

To stay out of their way, I wondered if there was an area of town we could bike around and see sights or a place we could ride and still feel we were in Thailand.

I searched posts and found some advice on trips out of town, but any ideas or itineraries inside the city would be appreciated.

We´ll be staying on Lamphun Road , I think. The addresses are hard for me to decipher.

We´d like to take our friends out one night for a really nice dinner or something.They don't have much money so we'd like to take them somewhere special. Any suggestions of restaurants or some other idea?

Thank you so much,

Chipi

Singapore
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking in Chiang Mai and restaurant

Lamphun Road is south of the city and stretches a longer, way towards Lumphun, a smaller, province and township where many industries congregate. It fact, it's like an extension of Chiang Mai.

Anyway, you do not know exactly where and how far you'll be from Chiang Mai city. But there are many buses and pickup taxis plying the route and you should have no problem getting to Chiang Mai, which should take less than 40 mins form Lumphun city itself (26 km).

If you'd like to bike, there are many bicycle hire shops along the Old City wall on the Tapae Gate side in Chiang Mai. I'd suggest that you ride around the Old City, exploring the many temples and museums inside. It is not safe to cycle on busy roads especially the Night Bazaar areas. There is a scenic route which takes you on the river bank but I've not tried it.

Now, where to take your friends? I take it that they're Thai, and if you're not too far from Chiang Mai city, you could take them to the Riverside Restaurant along the east bank of the Ping river just past the Narawat bridge. This is a Thai -Western restaurant with a good selection of food, big servings and great service. I've always enjoyed the location beside the river and have also gone on their river dinner cruise. A local band and singer starts playing around 8 pm, and the atmosphere is relaxed but busy. The tel number is 53 243239, you should try to get a table by the river bank or book the dinner cruise.

Have a great time!

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking in Chiang Mai and restaurant

What is the name of the place you are staying?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking in Chiang Mai and restaurant

Lamphun Road can be quite busy, especially early morning and late afternoon. You probably want to catch a red truck to the old town, then start your riding from the rental shop. As mentioned by ttk, there are lots of rentals along the moat with cheap rentals, but you get what you pay for. I would suggest either Top Gear (Chiang Moi Rd) or Cacti Bikes (Singharat Rd) for good quality rentals.

There is lots to see inside the old town (inside the moats) without too much traffic. Just arm yourself with a good map and connect the dots.

If you want to get a little ways outside of town, there is a sideroad running along the Mae Ping for quite a distance. It is on the east side of the river, starting from the Narawat Bridge and heading north as far as you want. As you head north and encounter the superhighways, just go left and loop under the superhighway, then continue on your way.

I have to also second ttk's suggestion about the Riverside Restaurant, great food and perfect location. Its one of my favorites and you see far more locals than tourists there, a good testament to the food's quality and pricing.

Spain
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking in Chiang Mai and restaurant

Wow!!! You are fantastic. This is great information and I am getting big adrenal rush just reading this!

Our friends are Americans who are living there for a year. The restaurant sounds so fun. I bet the kids ( they have a 12 year old) would like the cruise.

Thank you again.

Chipi

5. Re: Biking in Chiang Mai and restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Chiang Mai