We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bang Krachao

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
16 helpful votes
Bang Krachao

I just returned from Bangkok and this time round, I managed to explore Bang Krachao! I have been wanting to go and finally able to on my last visit.

I searched through this forum and found that there isn't much topic on Bang Krachao. So I thought I would give my input here.

Bang Krachao is THE place for you to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. And the best part is, it is also in Bangkok! Not too far from downtown Bangkok. You can read more about Bang Krachao here: bunchofbackpackers.com/need-escape-busy-bang…

NOTE: NOT MY BLOG.

I actually took Grabcar and placed my destination to Klong Toei Pier so that I can take a boat across. However, the map actually shows to the port instead. So we got lost a bit.

There are a few ways to get there. My recommendation is to tell the taxi driver or the taxi app to send you to Wat Khlong Toey Nok (a temple). However, do not enter the temple. Instead, just at the roadside along the 7/11, there is a small make-shift kiosk with a friendly lady who will guide you to the island. At first I thought she might be some overpriced tour vendor. But she is not.

She will guide you to the other side of the road (a few mins walk) to the boat that will take you to the other side. The first trip to BK is free. Returning, you just need to pay about 10baht per person. Upon reaching at the other side, you can (or rather have to) rent a bicycle. That is the whole point about going there! To cycle and explore the island. Whole day rental is 100baht per bike. Free bottled water too! The shop will also provide you with a map, though I find it rather hard to read. However, the island is not that big and you will not get lost easily. Also, the locals staying there are super friendly and they would actually help you to point to the right direction towards your pier when you need to return.

What to do there? There is a floating market (of sorts) there. More like a weekend market to me. Lots of GOOD AND CHEAP FOOD! I bought my grilled salted fish for 90baht where else in Bangkok, I would be paying around 200baht or more! It is a good place to explore as the place has not been swamped by tourists yet. This is one place where locals would actually go over the weekends.

There are a few attractions and temples you can visit as well. I read somewhere you can actually do a firefly tour in the evening which I did not do.

Do go only in the weekends and the best time for me is to go around 10am to 11am, rest and walk around the market and also lunch before cycling and exploring again for the next few hours.

So yeap! If you have lots of days in Thailand, do explore Bang Krachao! If you are into greenery, explore Bang Krachao! If you like cycling, Bang Krachao! If you want to escape the hectic city environment, Bang Krachao is for you! :)

I am just a happy traveller. hahaha

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
27 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: Bang Krachao

There was a write up in the Bkk Post about BK 2 weeks ago. Tks for telling us about your day there.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
18 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Bang Krachao

Glad you had a good day. If you haven't tried it already you must go rent a bike on Koh Kred.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
613 posts
179 reviews
62 helpful votes
3. Re: Bang Krachao

Am going there on my next trip

4. Re: Bang Krachao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 15, 2017