We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

Hi all,

I have read all the posts here about credit card scams and fully intend to use my card only for good and never for evil (will restrict to ATMs only)!

Can I please ask some advice as I don't have it clear in my mind at the moment (I am a bit slow :) )?

I am travelling to Bangkok parlt business/part pleasure and the hotel has been paid for. Should I offer cash as a 'deposit' in the hotel upon check-in? The hotel we are staying in has been listed by another traveller here as a potential cause of their card-skimming fiasco.

If we want to charge breakfasts and things to the hotel, do we then have to pay for them as we go rather than charge to the room? I have never paid cash like this before - we have always offered our card @ check-in. What then is the risk of the hotel making off with our cash deposit in similar fashion to making off with our card details?

thanks in advance for any advice

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

thanks again all,

I have travelled many times before including to various countries in Asia (just not Thailand) and have also never had a problem. Not usually a paranoid problem but I guess this time the old worries got the better of me. Of course, the bank will sort me out if there are any problems, and we will have alternate means of cash if the cards are maxed out before we get home.

thanks for all the great advice.

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

sorry, meant not usually a paranoid PERSON!

13. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, August 19, 2009