We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

Hi all,

I have read all the posts here about credit card scams and fully intend to use my card only for good and never for evil (will restrict to ATMs only)!

Can I please ask some advice as I don't have it clear in my mind at the moment (I am a bit slow :) )?

I am travelling to Bangkok parlt business/part pleasure and the hotel has been paid for. Should I offer cash as a 'deposit' in the hotel upon check-in? The hotel we are staying in has been listed by another traveller here as a potential cause of their card-skimming fiasco.

If we want to charge breakfasts and things to the hotel, do we then have to pay for them as we go rather than charge to the room? I have never paid cash like this before - we have always offered our card @ check-in. What then is the risk of the hotel making off with our cash deposit in similar fashion to making off with our card details?

thanks in advance for any advice

Mandurah, Western...
Level Contributor
443 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

Hi Nell

I only used my credit card 3 times while I was in thailand once each at Patong Beach Hotel , Phuket and Pathumwan Princess Hotel Bangkok as a imprint on check in , and once at an optician at the MBK shopping centre in Bangkok. My bank contacted me the other day saying my card had been skimmed. I definately would only use cash next time.

regards

Cindy

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

I'm actually surprised about your case "cindylovestravel." You only used it at those 3 places and your card still got skimmed..wow! what has bangkok become!

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

use cash or trav cheques

that way your not risking anything

when you use the atm,s always cover/shield the keypad with your other hand

the scammers have been planting tiny cameras onto the atm,s just above the key-pad , to view,and record people,s pin , then skimming their card -remotely ,( whilst its in the machine )

they then sell the skimmed cards with their relative pin numbers in batches-- to other criminals ,who use them in various countrys to withdraw cash -

-i read this yesterday on another well known site

also consider using atm,s situated inside banks

--you should be able to pay for breakfast, or anything else in your hotel, "as you go"or pay at the end of your stay, in cash

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

call your CC company tell them where and when you are going.

and to authorize charge's in only those area's you will be.

as soon as you get back home call them and tell them you are back and to not authorize any more charges from that area.

I have 1 card i use only for travel I actually put a hold on the card as soon as I get back then nothing can be charged until I release the hold on my next trip.

Lincs UK
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

Hi,

We've been to Thailand(mostly Bangkok) every year (sometimes twice or more) since 1999 and have always given my CC for an imprint on arrival at the hotel. So far i've never had a problem! I NEVER use it in ATM's because of charges and cr*p exchange rates.

Nell,

we always charge things like breakfast,drinks etc to our room and pay cash before leaving(use Traveller cheques to get cash)

Harry

Melbourne
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

Hi Nell. The golden rule is not to let your credit card out of your sight - whether you be dining out in Sydney or anywhere else in the world. To skim the card has to be swiped through a small device that replicates the mag stripe info. Provided your card is only being swiped through an EFTPOS terminal you are OK.

I have always use my cards selectively whilst o/seas and I would condider most large hotels to be safe. However, If others are pinpointing your hotel as a potential skimming risk then don't use your card there - it is probably one staff member doing this and it should be reported to the card schemes who will close down their facilities if this is true.

At the end of the day , the scheme rules protect you and you will receive a refund of any unauthorised transactions if you are unfortunate to receive any. The onus is on the merchant to prove authenticity- not you.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

It would be interesting to know which card got skimmed. I heard from Americans that in their case it was always Visa. I have never had a problem with Amex but I would never use it in a place like MBK .

A few weeks ago acc to the BKKPost the police caught a gang of Sri Lankans with more than a hundred cards. They were suspicious because they watched them taking one card after the other out of the bag and drawing money from an ATM.

When using an ATM, try to use the ones inside a bank and not on public areas like BTS stations or along Sukhumvit.

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

thanks so much for all your advice. it seems that the consensus is that using credit is safe in the hotel provided we are careful about what they do with the card.

will let you know when I get back if there were any problems!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

Just be aware that not letting your card out of your sight means nothing, lot of the scamming takes place through the telephone lines not them swiping or copying your card and it may not even be the person who has your card. This was covered in depth a few months ago on the Phuket Forum.

We use to use our card all the time on many trips and have never had a problem, but relatives and friends we travel with have had problems and that was with only using the card twice, once at the hotel and once at the airport.

Cathy

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CC scams-have read the posts, some practical advice pls

Just like to point out that my wife and I have used c.c's a gazillion times all over Thailand over 9 years and NEVER had a problem. I'm not saying it does'nt happen because I know it does, Thailand is on a "wanted" list by banks for it, but, it is quite unlikely all the same,I would say,that you would be "skimmed". I know, I know, is of no comfort to those who have been ripped off but perspective and all that. Also, noone I know who lives here has been ripped off either,Thai,Western, or Asian. Your choice as to bring 'em or not.