We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari world

Western Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
safari world

has anyone been here? is it worthwhile? I have read the blurb on the web site, but everything sounds good in theory. In reality what is it like?

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
932 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safari world

Hi SiouxCitySue,

We were there a month ago. There are 2 parts to it; marine park and safari park. I thought the marine park shows were only so-so - same old stuff one sees at Seaworld (dolphin show) and Movieworld (there is a stunt show) in Gold Coast. There is a large polar bear too. You might not like the orang utan show if you are an animal rights kind of person.

The safari park is impressive. I have never seen so many tigers and lions in any other park or zoo. My kids loved the giraffe feeding area - there is an elevated balcony and they will come for the free bananas and sweet potatoes (the one park guests need not pay to feed the animals!). There must be easily over 20 giraffes.

One the whole something to thrill the children but no need for a second visit! If your kids like theme parks, go to Dreamworld - almost same distance to Safari World but cheaper - the only park I have visited in which they don't sell you food and drinks at cut-throat prices!

We (family of 2 adults and 3 kids) went by ourselves in a taxi by meter and worked out almost half the price cheaper than if we had joined with a group tour (I preferred the convenience of own leisure). Coming back from Safari World, the taxi wanted a fixed fare (400 bahts) which I agreed cos it was not much more expensive than going there (320 bahts).

Happy holidays!

gasman

London, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safari world

how far is this place from Bangkok city??

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
932 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safari world

Hi agip,

Ohh, maybe 35 - 45 mins taxi ride from Chidlom. Fare was 270 Bht on the meter, plus tolls I paid on expressway made it to just over 300 Bht. It is north-east from Bkk; just like Dreamworld.

gasman

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safari world

Gasman,

How much was the entry fee to Dream World, for adult and children, and approx how much was the fare by taxi? My kids are 8 and 5.

Cheers.

Koh Lanta
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safari world

If you don´t want to go away too far you could visit Ocean world at Siam centre. It´s a great place for kids. They have very BIG aquariums and a lot of fishes, sharks and alot of animals to see for the kids. ´They also have a 4D movie and our kids really liked it.

You can go around at a place with a boat that has glassbottom. Really nice for the kids.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
932 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safari world

Hi dcrv,

For Dreamworld, there is no child ticket. Kids and adults pay the same, 450 Bht. But I remember the ticket counter lady asking me whether I worked in Bangkok, so I think there may be a special ticket for locals or expatriates working there. Locals are shunted to another counter to purchase tickets, but once inside, I noticed there were signs for those who purchased "for individually paid rides" only i.e. pay-as-you-ride as opposed to our tickets which were like Disneyland or Movieworld tickets; unlimited rides.

Still the entry was inexpensive compared to theme parks in other Asian countries. Dreamworld also had a package costing 1000 Bht for transfer, entry and lunch but then one had to be ready to leave by their transport at 3.30 pm. The park closes at 6 pm (or was it 5).

Anyway, we enjoyed a leisurely time there and took a taxi from Bangkok, which was about 270 Bht plus tolls on the expressway (maybe 8 Bht). For our family of 5, it beats any package tour.

At the end of our day there, there is a free Dreamland shuttle bus which takes you from their entrance to the very busy main road (quite some distance); from which one can catch a taxi or bus back to Bangkok. I noticed some Hong Kong visitors having to negotiate a rate with a taximan; obviously refusing to use the meter. We were lucky; we walked further to a bus stand to catch a taxi who used his meter but we just travelled to a mega shopping centre not too far away, Rangsit; where there is a Fortune Park(?) and Tesco, close to each other. (There are two shopping malls in Bkk with the word Fortune, which are in totally different places; I can't remember whether Fortune Park is the one in Rangsit but it is very big with a Robinson store inside; there is a MK restaurant there which serves great steamboat).

Have a great time,

gasman

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safari world

Thank you Gasman and Anna for your fantastic tips. We will definitely do as you suggested and won't book through a tour.

Cheers.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: safari world

Future park at Rungsit

9. Re: safari world

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 pm, August 25, 2009