We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hour layover at new airport

san jose
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
5 hour layover at new airport

We are a family of 4 ( our 2 boys are 20+ yrs) and have a 5 hour lay over between the domestic flight and our international flight home.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what do to? It will be saturday Dec 30. Is the weekend market too far away?

We heard the traffic is too bad to go anywhere and we will already have had our main sightseeing of Bangkok at the beginning of our tour.

Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

5 hours is really pushing your luck to leave the airport. even if your domestic is on time.

There are too many questionable points.

My best suggestion would be to stay in the airport and enjoy some last food and a foot/massage.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
886 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

The traffic over to Chatuchak is really not all that bad on a Saturday. I would guess that it would take you perhaps 35 minutes by taxi to reach Chatuchak. That would give you at least enough time to do a quick walk around and maybe grab a quick bite to eat. If you spent only a couple of hours there, you would scarcely scratch the surface. Chatuchak is huge and even after years of going there at least once a month, I'm not sure I have gotten round to all the nooks and crannies there and there are new sections coming up as well.

BTW, you could even check in for your international flight before you leave the airport if you are on Thai or one of the other airlines with multiple flights each day. That way, you could have your boarding passes, luggage checked, and only have to get back to go through immigration (which is quite fast now at the new airport) and go to the gate.

san jose
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

Thanks for the suggestions.

1) IF we go to the weekend market, how much is the taxi ride?

2) do we are the taxi to wait or can be easily get another taxi?

3) any other suggestions on an activitiy that is close to the new airport since we may not be able to check in our luggage 5 hours early?

thanks

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

Hi ghost

I haven't been to Thailand yet but I know from my research there is a very large shopping centre called Seacon Square in Bagna, closest town to the airport. There are a few hotels in this area which are suggested as an alternative to the very expensive Airport Novotel.

Seacon Square is apparently one of the largest shopping malls in Thailand, hope this helps, might save you a lengthy trip elsewhere.

Google it and you might get some more info.

Cheryl

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

The fact that your flight is on Saturday is very important -- I've been to Bangkok several times, arriving on Saturday at least 5 times, and automobile traffic is noticeably lighter. If -- and only if -- you arrive in BKK as scheduled and it appears that there is no issue with your flight back to the U.S., I would second the suggestion of another writer that you make a quick trip to Chatuchak -- it's one of my most favorite places/experiences in BKK.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
886 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

Ghost -

1) IF we go to the weekend market, how much is the taxi ride?

I live not far from Chatuchak, and it normally costs about 200 baht to my house from Suvarnabhumi...maybe about 225 baht or so to Chatuchak. You will add 65 baht for the expressway and 50 baht for the airport taxi fee. By the way, it's the expressway almost all the way to Chatuchak, so no worries about traffic really, and you will have plenty of time.

2) do we are the taxi to wait or can be easily get another taxi?

There are lots and lots of taxis waiting along Kamphaeng Phet road, the main road outside of Chatuchak. The entrance back to the expressway is also on Kamphaeng Phet road (you will u-turn to get back to it), and not far away.

3) any other suggestions on an activitiy that is close to the new airport since we may not be able to check in our luggage 5 hours early?

There really isn't all that much of interest near the airport, as far as I know. Seacon Square is not far away as Cheznandy mention, but it's just a large, modern shopping mall. There is a left luggage service at Suvarnabhumi if you cannot check your bags in early.

If you can make it to Chatuchak, I know myself and lots of others here would recommend it. It is truly a real slice of Bangkok and you will see anything imaginable for sale. There are also lots of good eating opportunities, and it's real, fresh Thai food, not some interpretation thereof that you would find served in a hotel.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

First of all i'd question the comment above that you can check in five hours early for your flight. I didn't see any airline opening up check in earlier than 2-2 1/2 hours. Maybe if you were in first class or business but I was on Malaysian Air and they're about the best and check in did not even start until two hours before the flight. I'd be checking up on that angle before even considering leaving the airport.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

With regard to checking in: most likely, you can check in on-line for your international flight (example: I recently flew Cathay Pacific from SFO to BKK and back, and their online check-in window begins 48 hours before the flight), and when you check in for your domestic flight, simply check the bags through to your final destination.

CP (and others) have dedicated "online check-in" counters where you can simply pick up your boarding passes and proceed to the gate. We encountered wait times of less than 5 minutes at these dedicated counters, both at SFO and in BKK.

Have a wonderful trip!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
886 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

doveman - correct, nit all airlines accept check-in more than two hours before flight time, as I mentioned above. In addition to CX, I know that Thai will accept check-in up to 24 hours in advance. Best bet would be to check with the airline, or if that doesn't work, left-luggage is convenient and quick at the new airport.

10. Re: 5 hour layover at new airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 19, 2009