We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Villalonga, Spain
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

We are planning a 1st class overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai in February.

I have looked for timetables and price etc and have found two different times. Can anyone clarify which is correct and also can anyone recommend which is the best train to get.

Times found are:

6pm dep Bangkok-05.00am arrive C/M according to seat61.com

or

6pm dep Bangkok- 06.50am arrive C/M according to thaifocus.com

and

19.35 dep Bangkok -09.20arrive C/M according to seat61.com

or

19.40 dep Bangkok -08.55arrive C/M according to thaifocus.com

I am confused!!!!

Please help. Thank you.

Jenny

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

The correct timetable is at the railway website.

www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

Villalonga, Spain
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

Thanks for that Emjay. That timetable agrees with seat 61.

So it seems that it would be better to go on the later train in order to see something of the countryside before we get into Chiang Mai, as 05.00am arrival seems a bit too early.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

That is the train we are taking for that same reason... we figured getting into Chiang Mai at 6am wasnt going to be an advantage, as you usually cant book in to your hotel until later anyway... the other option is the next train leaving around 10pm getting into CM at lunchtime.... We booked straight thru the railway (the email address given on Seat 61)... we are there in Dec so I can report back if its a good way to book then! They got back to us really quickly and we just pick up the tickets before 4pm on the day of travel or any day before that!

Villalonga, Spain
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

Thanks. I will book that train nearer the time.

Looking forward to reading your report on the booking and journey.

Jenny

England
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

Hi Jenny

We went in July on the 19.35 arr. 09.20. It was over an hour late which we understood to be a fairly regular occurrence. So if you're returning by train and connecting with anything else, bear that in mind.

Have a good trip - you'll love it.

p.s. My Part 2 trip report covers the Chiang Mai part of our hol if you're interested.

Chris

Villalonga, Spain
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

Thanks Chris - I read your Chiang Mai report - it was very interesting and informative. I noticed you flew with Etihad Airways, that is who have booked with. We fly from Manchester. Did you find the flight and the stop in Abu Dhabi OK. Any tips on that?

Thanks

Jenny

England
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

Hi Jenny

We flew Ethiad from Heathrow. The first leg was a night flight (dept 9.15pm). There were little zipped pouches on each seat containing an eye mask, ear plugs, socks, toothbrush and toothpaste (which you get to keep - or we did! - and you don't get this on the day flights), as well as individually wrapped (sterilized) headphones and a blanket Shortly after takeoff they came round with hot towels and then drinks (free) - including alcoholic drinks even though it's an arab airline. The seatback screens can be a bit hit and miss (mine didn't work for the first leg), but when it does work there's a choice of 60 odd films plus tv episodes as well as music. If that's not enough you can always watch the clouds pass by through the downward and forward looking cameras or follow your journey on the map. There's a choice of food (you get a menu) including a vegetarian dish and we found it pretty good considering it's airline food. The aircrew were fine and seem to consist of several different nationalities. You might get an American pilot or French and there seemed to be Australian and Romanian cabin crew. Leg room is fairly standard for cattle (sorry 'Coral') class at 32 (or was it 33 inches). As you might be able to tell, we haven't flown much in recent years and the only other scheduled flight I've been on was my last trip to Thailand 20 yrs ago - on Tarom (Romanian!) which was awful - 3 stops and all we got was a big bar of Chinese 'royal jelly' chocolate and inedible meals!!!

Our stopover at Abu D was 1 1/2 hrs, which by the time you've got off the plane is just about right to stretch your legs without getting too bored. I love the architecture of the airport which is quite small. It's a bit like a wheel with a central 'hub' area, a 2 storey building housing arrivals and departures, shops etc and the aircraft dock at the end of several 'spokes', each with its own small departure lounge servicing 2 aircraft. The 'hub' area is beautiful - all yellow and blue mosaic tiles that looks a bit like a palm tree rising up from the centre of the ground floor with palm fronds fanning out across the deep blue ceiling. The loos are on the ground floor. Like I said, it's not a huge place so you should be able to wander around without getting lost.

I'm beginning to get rather jealous of everyone who hasn't been yet - definite withdrawal symptoms. I really wish I was heading out again sometime soon, but I think it will be several years before we can go again. Meanwhile I'll keep checking this forum out now and again to do a bit of vicarious travelling and bring back happy memories of our own trip.

Chris

Villalonga, Spain
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

Thank Chris, that was great (and reassuring) information.

Jenny

England
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

Jenny

You're welcome. Have a great trip.

Chris

10. Re: Which overnight train to Chiang Mai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 22, 2009