We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best massage in Bangkok

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best massage in Bangkok

Hi, my partner and I will be in Bangkok en route to Australia for 3 nights in December. We're staying at SGS (on the basis of feedback and reviews on this site; thank you everyone!).

I'd love to have a few Thai massages while in Bangkok, although my partner would prefer deep tissue massages.

I would love some expert advise on where to go for the massages - the prices at SGS seem much steeper than other places I've looked at. What are the massages like at Divana (which seems a good option due to proximity to SGS)? Oh, and how far in advance do I need to book?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

We too are also staying at the SGS for 6 nights 20 Nov...cant wait.

The Reviews onTripadvisor and also on this site are very favourable indeed. The Westin accross the road approx. is supposed to have very good massages. But Im sure someone here will steer you in the right direction, just keep posting.

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

Hi Travelimo, welcome aboard,

Well, best massage in Bangkok ... where to begin...

My newly wedded wife has enjoyed her treatments at Divana. (You can get all the particulars at divana.com.) At the other end of the price scale, she also has a most unfortunate addiction to the treatments at the Oriental's spa. (I do my best in keeping her away from that venue.)

When in Bangkok for work, I opt for in-room massages. (As alluded to above, the Westin Grande Sukhumvit does indeed have fine massage treatments; the hotel's masseuses are just the best.) When staying at the Sheraton Grande (great choice, by the way), I have always arranged for a masseuse to come over from an outside agency. The best treatments I have received have been from masseuses at Angel Massage. Angel offers a fine outcall service until midnight.

For what it's worth, these are my current all-time, top-eight venues for in-room massage treatments whilst in Bangkok for work (and occasional pleasure): 8) Oriental; 7) Peninsula; 6) WGS; 5) Four Seasons (treatments until 2 am); 4) Shangri-La (treatments until 3 am); 3) Pathumwan Princess (24-hour treatments); 2) SGS; and for the Grand Prize, that sweet slice of expense account heaven, the Amari Airport Hotel. Back in its heyday, when the "old" BKK was in operation, it was possible to go to the "After-Flight Centre" on the 5th floor, and choose your masseuse ... (Now, I tend to stay - at my wife's gentle urging - at our honeymoon locales, the number 8 and 7 ranked hotels.)

Well, hope this helps. Enjoy your massages ... in the City of Angels...

macintosh (robert)

... "gentle polite massage, put you in dreamland..."

(Somerset Maugham, "The Gentlemen in the Parlour")

London 1930

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

Chezepops and macintosh, thanks for your advice!

I will have a look at the suggestions; it may end up being Divana, but we're there for a few days so can try more than one place!

Cheers

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

Hi macintosh

First I would like to say how much I enjoy your posts - with your style of writing, you could (or maybe do?) have a career in writing!

I too would like to have a few massages while in Bangkok, and fortunately will be staying at one of your top choices, the PP.

I have heard, however, that Thai massage is quite physical, which will not suit me due to having widespread arthritis, resulting in numerous operations. I have remedial massage regularly, but where could I receive this type of treatment in Bangkok? I am also concerned about the language barrier, in regard to explaining my medical history.

Your suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated, as I can't imagine travelling around and not being able to have the wonderful relief of massage!

Many thanks

Kathleen

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

Spa at Sheraton Grande Sukh. is excellent. You will get aromatherapy massage, Swedish massage (deep tissue).

The therapists speak good English and you can tell them your problems and likings.

Thai massage in general can be torture and it is not for relaxation really.

SGS spa is often fully booked, it depends on the season.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

Hi Jemima

That's a great help - do you by chance know of any similar therapists in Phuket? I'll be there for 11 days before travelling to Bangkok.

Thanks

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for your message. I send warm greetings from joyous Japan (and am looking forward to flying back to beloved Bangkok this evening).

You already have fine counsel from Jemima. It's been years since I've received a Thai or "deep tissue" massage. Have always preferred the quiet raptures of a late-night, in-room aromatherapy (and light pressure) massage. Call me easy to please, but I've always enjoyed the sensation of a masseuse gently rubbing scented oil over my body. (Although, one evening at the Four Seasons, I requested Lemongrass oil, which was a Big Mistake. (I had a bit of an itchy rash on various areas of my body for a few days.) Choose your scents wisely.

You have chosen a fine hotel; I loved my time at the Pathumwan Princess. I recall arriving well after midnight, and within 90-minutes, a fine masseuse had made the rigors of the long-haul a distant memory. You should have a fine, therapeutic time.

(I plan on another late-night, in-room massage treatment this evening at the Shangri-La, after my arrival in Bangkok. Will let all of you know if the hours still extend to 3 am; critical information.)

And, thanks for the compliment, Kathleen. Truth be known, a fair number of my posts on this fine forum are sent off from hotel rooms and airport lounges. (In this particular case, the serene All Nippon business class lounge at Narita --- please don't tell my boss.)

Fine massages (and sweet dreams) to you,

Robert

... "Put a Spring in your Step .. And a Bounce in Your Style" ...

(Pathumwan Princess)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
314 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

http://www.divanaspa.com

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

Warm greetings, from warm Bangkok,

Yet another Bangkok massage centre to add to the growing list of all-time greats: The delightfully named, Maiden Massage. I recently (early yesterday morning) discovered - first hand - that Maiden provides 24-hour, in-room massage treatments at the Shangri-La hotel. (I had arrived a bit late from Tokyo.) Maiden is located within the Chao Phya Tower (Krungthep Wing) at the SL, should you care to have your treatment at the centre.

My wondrous wife is flying into BKK from Singapore tonight, so it's doubtful I'll experience the wonders of Maiden this weekend (particularly since we're staying at a different property), but for those of you staying at the SL (or perhaps arriving late, at a future date), you have a fine way to unwind. Enjoy. (And the marvelous Maiden masseuses do appreciate appropriate tips.)

macintosh (robert)

"...will rejuvenate your body and stimulate your senses."

(Maiden Massage)

Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best massage in Bangkok

I prefer to do traditonal Thai massage at Wat Pho (at the massage school in the Wat Pho temple) & Body Tune (Sukhmvit 24 or Silom : www.bodutune.co.th). Price is about 250 - 350 baht per hour. Wat Pho is opened till 6pm & Body Tune closes at midnight.