We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everything OK In BKK

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Everything OK In BKK

Just to let anyone who might hesitate (people still may be freaked) about the coup of two weeks ago - I sit in the new airport, awaiting my flight to Phuket and can you tell you emphatically; everything is wonderful here. There are NO signs of anything political; if anything, there is even more pride amongst the Thai. Everyone is wearing shirts w/ the Kings emblem.

The Thai people are extraordinary. Our trip has been wonderful in Bangkok - I am really sorry to be leaving the city, but looking forward to the beach.

The new airport is gorgeous and huge! A ways out of the city, but about 45 min. in no traffic. Still working out some bugs, but you wouldn't really know it.

Travel here and you won't regret it!

kota kinabalu
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Everything OK In BKK

Agreed! The Monday we were there everywhere we saw Thais wearing yellow t-shirts. When we asked why, a lady said all Thais love their King. I asked again is it for this special year only (his 60th Anniversary) she said oh it'll be forever. The monarchy here works.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Everything OK In BKK

Shame the Western media supposedly "on the ground" here did'nt report the situation as you so accurately described it. The magnaminous nature of the Thais is one reason The West will never really know how peaceful and almost "non-eventful" the coup was - I for one, will always maintain a healthy degree of scepticism whenver reading reports on what is happening here. To be fair though, The Beeb did report as was, Fox and others...................well,no comment.

3. Re: Everything OK In BKK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 22, 2009