We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tea in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln
13 posts
Save Topic
Afternoon Tea in Bangkok

Hi there,

Honeymoon is 3 weeks ish now so I'd best get down to planning some of the smaller details...

Can anyone recommend a nice place to go for afternoon tea? I think the other half would enjoy doing that one day...ideally somewhere near the grand palace that way we could tour in the morning and take a break somewhere nearby in the afternoon.

Also I'm planning to go to "Bed Supperclub" - should I book before we get out there or should we be ok to sort it on arrival? We're staying 5 nights in Bangkok so I can be reasonably flexible on what night etc.

All help much appreciated

Regards

Simon

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Afternoon Tea in Bangkok

Hi Catherine -- (apologies for not replying sooner - something to do with two wedding ceremonies and a monetarily devastating - and yet, joyous - honeymoon romp in Bangkok and Singapore.)

... well, high tea at the Oriental and the Peninsula ... as of a few days back, the going rate for a most acceptable offering at the O was 880 baht/person, and the Pen, 380. Perhaps rather excessive, but that's atmosphere, history, and name for you... ("financially speaking," you could do so much worse: attempting the same at the Park Hyatt --- Tokyo)...

... just a thought, but if it's the three of you at the O, consider one presentation, and a "tea for two," set-up. My wondrous wife eats like a "bird," and i am content with tea and a little finger sandwich (or two), so one setting has always worked fine for us. (more than once, one course has been shared between us and another couple; it is rather substantial.)

... enjoy your high tea ... almost forgot: on weekends, the Peninsula offers a tea buffet for 420 baht/person; if so inclined, you could make a meal out of the occasion ... (we would never do such a thing.) ... macintosh (robert)

I got nasty habits, I take tea at three/

(m. jagger / k. richards)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Afternoon Tea in Bangkok

Thanks very much for the reply & info Mac. Congratulations on your recent marriage, sounds like you had a great honeymoon. My husband & I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this year, still cant believe how fast time goes (cant believe I'm 42 either!!).

We've done the high tea thing in Hong Kong before but thought we would take our youngest daughter as a treat this time.

Cheers & thanks again.

Catherine

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Afternoon Tea in Bangkok

For high tea go to Oriental Hotel. It is a nice romantic setting. Service and cakes are not so impressive. Scones are too fluffy.

My favorite venue is the Peninsula Hotel for tea.

Many hotels offer afternoon tea. However, it is often only "high tea" by name and not by quality.

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Afternoon Tea in Bangkok

You are most welcome, Catherine; my pleasure.

Tea at the Oriental is normally less busy, Monday-Thursday; there are some fine settings, perfect for parties of three and four, in the main lounge. Cross-river, at the Peninsula, we are partial to the window tables overlooking the river (and those weekend tea buffets). I suspect we will be back at both venues this Bangkok fall season, so will send along news of any major changes before your return to Thailand.

Thank you for your kind sentiments, and congratulations to you and your family on two decades of marriage. We aspire for twin figures ... (and i aspire for future BKK leisure daily per diem of similar sum --- hope springs eternal).

Best wishes, Robert

15. Re: Afternoon Tea in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 27, 2009