We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hours stopover Bagkok 6 am - 1:10 pm (Saturday morning)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
7 hours stopover Bagkok 6 am - 1:10 pm (Saturday morning)

Hi Guys,

I have a 7 hours stop over at Bangkok, I will not need to collect my luggage as it will be checked in all the way to London (I hope).

I have been searching online and seems like sky link is the way to go, to avoid heavy Bangkok traffic.

Makkasan station express - 5 min travel time

Phaya Thai station - City link 28 min travel time

Is it practical for me to safely go out with sky link ? and what things can I go at around 8:00 am in the morning around those stations ?

Thanks For your help,

Satty

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hours stopover Bagkok 6 am - 1:10 pm (Saturday morning)

Ratchaprorop is one station before Phaya Thai and one station after Makkasan. Under 45 baht with the Airport Rail Link City Line from Suvarnabhumi.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

You can walk to shopping in Pratunam area. Although it is early for malls opening at 10 a.m. something might be available for shops and street vendors who open early. Anyway you can stretch your legs and eat something. Maybe use a taxi to your favorite spot in Bangkok.

If you continue to Phaya Thai you can connect with the Skytrain for more stops but your time is passing by!

Be at the airport 2 hours before check in is my advice. You probably have a couple good hours to spare and not as much as you think since you must allow for transportation and waits for rides too.

If you are only flying in from another city in Thailand why not come back to Bangkok a day sooner?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hours stopover Bagkok 6 am - 1:10 pm (Saturday morning)

Thanks Infidelal, I can't change my flights now, I am flying from Melbourne and my flight is tomorrow :)

If I have the boarding pass and don't need to check in any luggage do I still need to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of departure time ?

If my flight lands at 6:00 am in Bangkok, what is reasonable time for me to get out of airport and is Airport sky link better option then taking a tax ?

I am not sure about street food, it is safe to try street feed without upsetting my stomach. Don't want to get sick before I reach London :)

How much time should I keep aside for travelling from/to the airport if I decide to go to Pratunam area.

Thanks for your help.

cheers, Satty

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hours stopover Bagkok 6 am - 1:10 pm (Saturday morning)

Phaya Thai station and Change to BTS Skytrain to Siam Station, Shopping to Siam Paragon, BMK, Pratunam, Platinum,

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hours stopover Bagkok 6 am - 1:10 pm (Saturday morning)

Every now and then when there is a hiccup when going through immigration procedures and it takes a little longer than normal. But most often by the time you get stamped in and change some currency the bags are still coming around on the carousel. If your airline is worth anything they should hand out the entry forms on the plane to save time. Don't dawdle and walk fast to pass other people getting off the plane. (I avoid long lines with a lot of contract workers from China or another Asian country standing in line. Usually they have the same jacket and maybe the same hand bag. Immigration seems to include a "proctology exam" with them because they may not want to go home when their visa expires.)

The Airport Rail Link and Skytrain are separate companies but they do connect at Phaya Thai. Wait time for the City Line train is about 20 minutes. Train just leaving you wait. Forum check and FAQ's will give you info on how to use taxis from the airport and in the city. From the Ratchaprorop Rail Link stop you do have a few things to walk to.

Street food. Up to you. I avoid almost all of it myself. A few select things from food stalls I trust I will buy but eating random street food in any country is not my thing. For most of the same items I can buy it at a Food Court where they have hot water for cleaning plates, etc. And toilets where the cook can wash his hands. (Fewer flies and street dirt too.) At Suvarnabhumi there is a good and cheap food court. Name - Magic Food Point. Look it up.

There is a left luggage shop at the airport. Many old posts on this when you do a search. Money changers run by banks available at Suvarnabhumi 24 hours a day.

I am at the airport 2 hours prior to any flight. Something goes wrong and your transportation takes longer than you plan on or a mechanical glitch delays you, you may show up at the check-in counter and find your seat handed out to a standby. There is a immigration check when you leave where your passport is stamped out. Then a security check. (For my flights even a second security check.)

Up to you.

5. Re: 7 hours stopover Bagkok 6 am - 1:10 pm (Saturday morning)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, July 14, 2015