We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
37 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Hello everybody,

gathering infos by net, I am starting to search for hotels or apartment in Thong Lo area.

It seems to be the neighborhood which matches the preferences of local people and, actually, I use to choose areas like this when I travel.

It will be my first time in Bangkok, I'd be glad to receive suggestions about that.

Thanks, Fabrizio

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
37 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Thanks Mmonkie and Bill,

actually, reading reviews about Banglamphu I see it is mostly considered a backpackers' spot, nothing against that shouldn't I be 47yo :) May be I should ask for best areas for over 30 people :) Anyway I still feel comfortable with Thonglor choice and Bill's posts have been encouraging that.

Have you all a great weekend. F

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Hi Fabrizio

I have nothing to add to informations you already received from our knowledgeable members like Bill and Mmonkie. I'm not bangkokian so the area in BKK still alien to me.

I would like to congratulate, applause you on your manners of using TA. There are so many people come on here with no manners, never comeback to the least say thanks to the informations they have received and no feed back of whatsoever. You in other hand replied to every single one of them.

Well done to you sir :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
37 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Hi Sweetpea,

so glad to receive an applause like that, I feel flattered.

I honestly think a good traveler should follow two basic rules: being polite and sharing his/her knowledge.

I have to say members like Bill and Mm add reputation to this site, because they are kind and clearly moved by the rules I said above, apart from passion for traveling.

My aim, btw, is going around, not just in BKK, therefore be ready to receive informations request about Ko Samui :-)))

Thanks for your nice message Sir/Madame(?)

Fabrizio

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

I totally understand what you mean.

Before moving to a street up from Thonglor I lived in the Makkasan area and to be honest the missus and I enjoyed it more. It was a working class area and I found the people to be friendlier and more genuine then those in Thonglor/Phrom Pong area...... Or it could just be my building :).

Try to make it down to Bangkapi. Take the boat from the Thonglor pier on the Saen Saeb. You will see the difference between the areas.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
37 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Hello Mmonkie, I will. I think the best choice is booking a hotel whatever just for 3/4 days and afterward exploring the city to realize which area fits my expectation.

Thanks as ever. Fabrizio

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,834 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

I found this snip from an old forum posting which I think is relevant. Sorry but I neglected to note the author.

"I live just off Thonglor. As for Thonglor eats, the "Haianese" chicken and rice shops (two of them) on the opposite side of J Avenue are fantastic value and tasty. Singaporean fare at silly (read cheap) prices. 50-100 baht for a feed! The two noodle shops opposite Thonglor police station are even cheaper and good. Fancy some japanese at reasonable prices? Ootoya, on the second floor of J ave has authentic Japanese sets at around 180-250 baht. You can see the restaurant from the red bus Bill mentioned on the left as you come down Thonglor from Suhkumvit. The soi 38 stalls mentioned are o.k./good, but the better fare is now a bit pricey as it has become well-known amongst the well-heeled Thais who have just left the expensive clubs in the area. Still quite easy to get a good meal for 100 baht though.(two dishes for that).Too many others to mention too on Ekkamai - especially fish restaurants.Ekkamai soi 30 on the right, about 60 metres, has fish on the ice outside and is really good. We paid 800 baht for FIVE the other night -two huge fish (seabass), prawns,veggies, tempura, rice and beer."

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
37 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Hello Bill,

very helpful post, it sounds unbelievable there you can eat sushi for 4 or 5 euro and the same fee for a dinner with fish, prawns, tempura and so on...

is it true and, above all, is it safe for health? LOL

Fabrizio

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Thonglor is lined up with nice restaurants and shops. At night it's even more alive with pubs and bars. Im sure you will enjoy it. Another good choice is hotels close to the river, it is such a great experience waking up to river view. Travelling by boats to the Grand palace is also quite convenient.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
37 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

Hello Eve, thanks.

They said staying close to the river is very suggestive, anyway I expect to stay there some weeks therefore i'll have enough time to go aoround and visiting as many area as possible.

Have a goods weekend,

fabrizio

30. Re: Bangkok: best neighborhood to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 15, 2015