We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

Hi, we will be in Bangkok next week for 4 days and I have booked a private guide for one day. We have 2 children , 6 and 8 yrs, I'm wondering which things on my list below will be good with kids, and what if any are easier to do with the guide or easy to get to by ourselves on a day we don't have the guide.

Floating market

Temple of dawn

Reclining Buddha

Emerald Buddha

Grand palace

I just don't want to have too long a day with the guide dragging kids around, so is there something that we could easily catch the train or boat to by ourselves, we are staying riverside.

Hope this makes sense, I thank you for your help.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

We had a day with a guide a few years ago when our girls were similar ages. The little one was unwell on the day, so ended up in a borrowed wheelchair at the Grand Palace and wasn't that bothered about being there at all. They were quite impressed with the Reclining Buddha, liked the flower market and would probably enjoy the hustle and bustle of the Floating Market (but you have to go early am to this). I can highly recommend the Rice Barge tour as you get picked up from your hotel, taken to Riverside and board a long tail boat to explore the khlongs, my girls loved seeing how the locals live along the river and seeing the giant water monitor lizards underneath the houses, you then transfer to a Rice Barge for the return journey and are treated to heaps of delicious, fresh, local fruits - very relaxing and easy with kids and you get returned to your hotel late afternoon for a swim and dinner. Be careful not to overdo it on the temples etc, as kids can only handle so much, I would suggest breaking the list up into two days and doing something else (like the Rice Barge tour) in the afternoons.

Also highly recommend Siam Niramit show for the evenings.

Edited: 10:28 pm, April 18, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

Thank you so much for your reply, that's really helpful. I haven't heard about the rice barge tour, I'll look into that.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

You can find it here:

bangkok.com/river-cruise-tours/ricebargecrui…

It's only a couple of hours, so perfect for young kids.

Duaringa, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

We have just returned from a week in Bangkok and we have a 10 year old daughter, she really enjoyed the aquarium in the Siam Paragon building and Madame Tussauds which is also near MBK, I think it is in the Siam Discovery building. Probably only about 2-3 hours but a nice activity for a morning or afternoon if it is very hot. At the aquarium I would not really suggest the behind the scenes tour as I do not feel it was really worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Mbk
Mbk
161 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

If you want to treat them to a full on kiddie experience like nothing they can do in Australia, I'd say Kidzania.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

Hi.which private tour guide do you engaged? How much their cost? thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

Nook is a lovely tour guide, she was great with our children, good English and great sense of humour.

cnnchinlawan@hotmail.com

Mentioned in this post
The NooK Bangkok
The NooK Bangkok
87 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

Grab Travel + Leisure Southeast Asia mag May issue :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. We are in Bangkok now. We have decided to do just the reclining Buddha and temple of dawn by public transport with our guide - Nook, who has been very patient while we decide what is the best sightseeing plan with children, she also offered suggestions of what might be too much for them. I'm trying to book the rice barge cruise, thanks cassnu, and if we can fit in kidzania, will do that too. I know we've got 4 days but want to have time for shopping and relaxing too. I've booked the loy nava dinner cruise too, I'll check in here again to let you know how it all went. Even though I really wanted to see the floating market, have decided to give it a miss this time, due to long drive for kids and me also, have found I'm suffering some motion sickness from thai driving!

Mentioned in this post
The NooK Bangkok
The NooK Bangkok
87 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed sightseeing with kids in Bangkok

HI

I know that this will be too late for you but just thought that i would add our experiences to this thread as we have just returned from our trip where we had 3 days in Bangkok with kids aged 8, 10 and 12.

We stayed at Ramada Riverside.

We visited..

Chatachak Market - first day of trip , kids overwhelmed by heat. Easy to do on BTS to MoChit. They did enjoy but needed of water - and spent less time there than when us adults visited 15 years ago. Back to hotel about 3 to spend time in pool.

Grand Palace, Emerald Bhudda and Wat Po - Enjoyed but again whacked by heat.

Long Tail boat trip for an hour to explore back canals dropping us off at Wat Arun. Back on Chao Phraya Express

Bit of shopping at MBK and Siam Paragon .

Patpong Market - early in evening - more details in JBR that I will post!!

Skipped floating Market - did this 20 years ago on Honeymoon - and felt it was just for tourists then!

Mentioned in this post
Mbk
Mbk
161 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand