We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

My wife and I are flying into Bangkok from Tokyo on the night of October 9th. We are looking to book a hotel close to the airport for that night because we are flying out to Krabi early the next morning. I know that the change over to the new airport is supposed to happen at the end of September. I called United and they said I was flying into the old airport, but they didn't really seem to know what the were talking about. Does anyone know if they are going to be rerouting flights to the new one, or am I OK booking a hotel near the old airport? If so, do you have any recommendations for a good moderate hotel? I am thinking about the Quality Suites. Thanks for your help.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

I am going to Bangkok first of Oct also

I haven't booked fight yet.

but A lot of the web pages say sept 28th is the changeover date.

Thai airlines is supposed to move their whole operation over in 6 hrs early that day.

but like you know one will tell me for sure.

I am thinking about booking on the opening day just to be one of the first to land at the new airport.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

Mr. Taksin says....... sep 28...

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/

Bangkok..Riding in...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

i'll beloved prime minister wants to force open the airport for his own political agend (election oct 15), but whether international agencies will approve international flights to land & take off on that date or not is still up for debate.

domestic flights are doing a test run with the new airport this month even though the airport is uninsured.....

but i did speak to some airline guys and they have been advised they are to move over to the new airport as in september, so i guess we need to prepare ourselves.

hotels within the new airport vicinity are the novotel bangna, royal princess srinakarin, and then there is the novotel property which is located within the airport but that is pretty expensive. as far as i know there are no quality suites in that area.

but the new airport isn't that far out, so you could be staying in bangkok center on rama iv road (bang na expressway to airport) or rachadapisek (rama 9-motorway to airport) and you would get there in good time because you will be driving in the opposite direction to most people.

besides it's a domestic flight, you don't need to be there that early!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

If all goes well, You will land at the new airport hopefully

Bangkok..Riding in...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

will it open? www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Jul2006_news01.php

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

Yes, it sounds really promissing.... QUOTE:

Among the high-risk items identified by the ICAO in its report are the "airfield visual aides" including taxiway, apron and airside road signs, lights and markings.

Failure to address them could lead to unsafe ground operations which "may contribute to an aircraft incident or accident", the report says.

Other identified risks outside the airport's terminal include a high antenna tower at the King Mongkut Institute of Technology's Lat Krabang campus which, the report says, could pose safety risks for planes approaching a runway, inadequate lighting for illuminating obstacles around the airport, insufficient safe areas at runway extremities, and the lack of an effective wildlife hazard control programme.

The institute's tower should be lowered and safe areas at runway ends expanded, according to the report.

Problems inside the building were identified as the baggage handling system and preparations for emergency situations, especially the fire alarm system.

Suvarnabhumi is being run under a temporary certificate issued by the Aviation Department.

It needs a permanent one approved by the ICAO for the Sept 28 opening.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

don't expect that airport to open up anytime soon. they were supposed to open last year.i expect that it will finally open at the end of next summer.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

I't is opening 28 september but that does'nt mean all airlines will be ready to use it. Too many reputations on the line, face saving e.t.c. for another delay now.

10. Re: BKK airport (which one am I flying into???)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 12, 2009