We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing/temperature

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing/temperature

Hi all

Off to Bangkok next week (hopefully).

I can see that evening temperatures range from 16 to 22 depending where you look. Do you need a cardigan/sleeves in the evenings?

Also, do you need mosquito repellant? It hadn't occurred to me but then I read a review for my hotel at the Riverside and someone mentioned getting eaten by bugs on the terrace in the evening. Only one mention of it in everything I've read. Then I went to buy some and the Jungle Formula bottle said for 'short haul' and I wondered if we might need something more effective.

Another thing, I've checked dress code for Grand Palace (thankfully as it's not the same as any dress code I've encountered previously). Does similar dress code apply to temples? Also, do you actually go in all the temples or are they more of a sight to be seen from outside?

Thanks in advance.

Modesto, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing/temperature

Lesley, I've been here in Bangkok since December 29. I have not needed a sweater at all.

I brought only long pants. I wish I had brought some capri-length pants. I'm a 60-year-old woman and I think those would have been ideal. Many of the Thai women wear them.

I saw young women at the Grand Palace being stopped for wearing short-shorts and tank tops on New Year's day. I don't know the dress code at other places.

I have not encountered any mosquitoes, but I was only at the river on New Year's day and have not been near any of the canals for any length of time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,562 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing/temperature

I would doubt very much if you would need a Jacket in Bangkok, I certainly have never needed one and have visited at all times of the year (but of course we are all different).

Mosqito repellant I would say yes, there are mosqitoes about all the year round (but maybe a few more in the wetter seasons)

Most temples do not have a strict dress code like the Grand Palace but respectful clothing is always appreciated. many of the temples are very worth going inside.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
651 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing/temperature

If you are from Glasgow you won't need a cardigan, but take some mosquito repellent as it is always handy to have.

When you arrive at the Airport there is a Boots chemist by the Meeting point sign at Gate 4, pop in there for something suitable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing/temperature

I don't think anyone from Glasgow would ever need a cardigan in Bangkok.

Definitely take mosquito repellent and definitely go inside the temples..

Edited: 5:02 am, January 13, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing/temperature

i heard the same re night time temps just before I came to Bangkok last week(I am still here currently.) I have had on shorts and v neck tees/linen shirts/short sleeve shorts the entire trip!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,650 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing/temperature

Have a long sleeve shirt or similar cheap wash and wear garment you can throw on if you are planning on using long distance trains or buses. They can get very chilly from the A/C.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing/temperature

You may have read posts from people living in Bangkok, the spell of cold weather (16C overnight) that we had felt like Siberia after living here for a few years. 16C is a nice day for visitors from the UK though :)

Bring something warm if you plan on going to the movies, they are so cold inside.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing/temperature

Lol at you all think Scottish people don't get cold....I really do feel the cold unfortunately. I'll probably take a cardi or two with me just in case, will need one for the plane etc anyway (and for Dubai stop off too I think). Won't go wrong.

Thanks also for info in temples, we will definitely go in them too. I was just curious if we were as well just looking at some from outside, but we'll go in too. :)

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated!

Edited: 1:30 pm, January 13, 2014
9. Re: Clothing/temperature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 15, 2015