We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok - ko samui health risks

surrey
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok - ko samui health risks

Hi Everyone

My trip with my daughter (14) is happening at the end of this week and really looking forward to it. But, I think I have read too much info and freaked myself a bit. We have been advised against needing malaria tabs, does anyone take them in these regions? And if we dont get that, then we might get a fatal sting from a jellyfish or something else terrible. Sometimes you can just read toooooooo much.

Can anyone put my mind at rest.

jules

UK
Level Contributor
943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok - ko samui health risks

Hey Jules - try not to worry, once you get there I am sure all will go swimmingly.

You don't need to take anti-malarials for Ko Samui but you should still take care against being bitten both day and night. The malarial risk is low but that doesn't mean you should ignore it. The reason for trying to avoid getting bitten in the daytime is that the daytime biting mosquitoes may carry dengue fever. Again, risk is low but best thing is not to get bitten in the first place!

There are jellyfish in the region but you can usually see them in the water and they tend to come in clusters. Also, if they are in the area you often get little stingers in the water which warns you to be on guard. I've only seem them when diving in deeper waters in this area.

There is a hospital on Samui, lots of pharmacies and doctors clinics so if you need any medical help, there are professionals on the island who can assist you.

Have a fab holiday, I am sure you will both enjoy it :)

BB

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok - ko samui health risks

If tourists were dieing at a substantial rate, pretty soon nobody would be going to Thailand, or whatever other destination. Use care crossing streets (probably the most dangerous thing you will do in Thailand, but also London or New York), but I predict you will cross many streets, all without incident. Most health problems in Thailand are easily avoided, such as sunburn, dehydration, etc. I encourage bottled water. Malaria is not an issue in the tourist areas. I have never had a food poisoning issue (I did drink some water in Si Sa Ket, bad choice) but food poisoning is actually a concern at some places in the USA or Europe.

Do be extra careful any time you are near a road, but do not dwell on it either.

surrey
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok - ko samui health risks

thank you both. I know its right what youre saying and its put my mind at rest a little. I will make sure we get some strong mosquito repellant and I will try to relax and enjoy! Im sure we will once we're there! Jules

4. Re: Bangkok - ko samui health risks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 15, 2009